Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,I need to replace my stock intake with either a Edelbrock 2121 or 7121. My new engine has just a mid cam, headers, stock heads and a holley 600 / Auto.
Q-- which one? Edelbrock 2121 I guess is for a stock engine, and the 7121 is for a Hipo engine. Can my engine handle the 7121 or should I just stay with 2121?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
You definitely want to go with the RPM intake. The Performer intake is basically an aluminum version of the stock intake. Go with the RPM.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Always go with the Performer RPM, it's so much better than the Performer and not much more money. I would go with the Performer RPM Air-Gap though if it's in your budget.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I'd get this one, just because I think it looks sexy in black.

Link

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/350/350-75213.jpg

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Acooljt said:
I would go with the Performer RPM Air-Gap though if it's in your budget.
Before buying an Air Gap make sure that you have the hood clearance for it to fit under your hood with your air cleaner. I believe that you are pretty limited in what you can use with an Air Gap. They sit up higher then the RPM intakes.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have an Air Gap on my car with stock hood. Had to use the Pro Flow air filter for hood clearance.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I believe the Performer is much better than just an aluminum version of the stock manifold, however dyno testing I've seen in magazines shows the RPM intake makes as much as 15 more HP above 4000 rpm and only lost 5 ft-lb at 2500 rpm compared to the Performer, so the RPM is a really good all around choice for a street engine. I don't think I'd go with the Air-Gap with a relatively mild cam however. The Air-Gap is advertised as working in the same 1500-6500 power band as the RPM, however Edel gave it larger runners to increase flow while also making the runners a little longer to lower rpm that peak power is made, so even though it will peak with higher power at a similar rpm to the RPM intake, it will trade off more of its lower rpm drivability and part throttle response to make the high rpm power numbers. IMO, the Air-Gap is better off on an engine that will make use of more cam and compression than the OP described he has in his engine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replys, I will probably go with the RPM 7121, I do have the K&N filter, I'm sure the space is limited with that taller air cleaner.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Space will also be limited, in a '65/'66 with an RPM intake. You'll either need to run a drop base or a 2" tall filter.

Personally, I don't think you'll see any advantage at all with the RPM intake on your particular engine setup. You'll just pay more money, loose hood clearance and a little bottom end torque. Your heads will not be able to take advantage of the increased flow of the RPM. I would put the plain Performer on an otherwise stock engine, such as yours.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I thought I had a Performer intake in the garage and was going to snap a couple pictures of it next to the airgap to show the difference in height but I have a Victor Jr (The victore manifold has the carb studs in it) and an air gap. The back end of the airgap is a bit taller in the back, other than that they are about the same height. Hope this helps. (BTW- I'm not married so I can do this on the kitchen counter, it was cold in the garage, and if there are any kids, disregard those wine bottles, its bad for you)

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1202868783-DSC01486.JPG

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1202868694-DSC01488.JPG
Looks like I have a light out over the kitchen table, never noticed before

1 - 11 of 11 Posts