Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a 200 I6 66 coupe. It's just plain slow, especially with the super-sloppy C4 I have. I'm going to be buying another faster vintage Mustang in the next couple of months. I'm considering this 65 fastback with a rebuilt 302. My question is... will it be enough engine for me, since speed is my main concern? How many HP / what kind of quarter mile times do you think I can get with a basic 4-barrel setup? What would the difference be between say a 302 and a 351 W?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
lets put it this way... if its not, you can make it so that it is!

302 is probably like the easiest engine to modify next to the chevy 350, and you can get amazing horsepower out of them with upgrades

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'm gonna agree with Shagg....you can always put on a supercharger. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif There are tons of parts out there for 302's. Good luck, whichever way you go.
BTW, I'm going to have to say I vote for the Buick 3.8 SFI engine for the easiest to build, then the 302. Hehehe. No offense to the 302 or Ford, but those TR's can run 10's with sooooo little modifications it's just not funny. *G*

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree with the others. You can build a plenty fast enough 289 or 302 and keep it very streetable. Sure a 351w built the same is going to be faster, but as is always the case, with it comes it's own set of headaches when you go shoving one into a '65/'66.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My plan is to use a 1989 5.0 High Output and build off of it. I like fuel injection and computer controled fuel suply. But even if you don't like computers it still a roller cam engine, with forged pistons and rods. The engine will stand up well to a 150# nitrous shot.

The 5.8 (modern 351) is also a nice engine but is hard to find since it was only in things like the ford lightning.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You can run mid-low 13's in strip trim (tuning, open headers, slicks) with a relatively modest 289/C4 combo, especially with the aftermarket parts available today..

Don't just think engine, think entire drivetrain and chassis...everything matters.

Like Boeing says about the 777 - "Over 1 million parts flying in formation"..*G*

Plenty of stout 289/302 combos in the archives...rummage around and see what you find..

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Take a 302 out of a 5.0 mustang, run good aftermarket heads and a nice roller cam. Not to hard to get 400hp, plenty fast in a car that weighs less then a Honda Civic.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I second Sean. Use 302, maybe stroked. If you still need more, build a supercharged 302. On Sunday, I saw a 71 with 302 with Procharger, the owner was just smiling when I asked how that felt after 572hp 460 he had earlier. On the other hand, on Saturday I saw a relatively stock looking early 80 with 408 Windsor running 10.18 ET.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I agree with the others. The 302 is the bang-for-the-buck king. Far fewer mods needed (cooling, rear end, trans, etc.) to go fast. If my car had not come to me with a 351 installed, I would have gone with a 302.

The Windsor conversion is great fun, but it is a PITA in many ways and substantially more expensive than a "little" SBF would be.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Actually there are a ton of 351/5.8 HiPo's out there in the big fords/mercury's and trucks. I have an 89 351 HP from a Crown Vic. Cheap and easy at a junk yard. I bought my engine and AOD tranny as a unit for $375. It runs great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts