Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok looking under the hood of the new cobra, and the PO has told me that the 302 has a bend pushrod ... anyhow I was planning on getting a newer 302HO but wondering a couple things first:

1. I was looking at the rods with just valve covers off and cannots ee anything obvious, I guess I should remove the rockers and pull out the rods to really examine them? How? Just roll them on a flat surface?

2. I checked the oil and noticed something that disturbs me ... the oil dip has the "full" mark about 1" up the dip ... however the oil reading us about 1/2 way up the entire dip!! like 8" or so!! Think thats a cracked block and tranny fluid is getting into the pan or whats up with that?

Thanks for your time guys :)!

------------------------------
1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )
1978 Ghia V8
1976 Cobra II

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a good way to check the push rods. Transmission fluid can't get into the pan unless you pour it in. It's probably gas or maybe someone poured too much oil in it. When you pull the dipstick out are their water beads perhaps?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
New Cobras don't have pushrods.
If the coolant is way down and the oil level is way up, this tells me that the motor may have serious problems. Pull the oil plug and see what runs out, water doesn't necessarly mean a holed block, could be a blown head gasket. Pushrods can be checked rolling them over a piece of glass, should be very obvious when you remove them if they are bent.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 76 Cobra II ... thanks for the tips ... so I'm thinking I should do the following:

1. Empty rad
2. Empty oil pan and check oil
3. Remove rockers and check pushrods
4. Put pushrods back, secure
5. Fill rad
6. Wait for a bit and then check oil again to see if theres anything in it after filling rad?

TIA
Chris

1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )
1978 Ghia V8
1976 Cobra II

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply .. no I did not notice and water beads .. the oil also did'nt seem too thin, but it does seem like someone changed it recently ... I'll have to inspect this tonight .... If pushrods are bent, can I salvage a spare from another running engine to replace or do I need to do a rebuild? What if I bought a new set and replaced them all would that save me from having to tear this engine out and rebuild?

TIA

1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )
1978 Ghia V8
1976 Cobra II

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Unless you need to change antifreeze, I would wait till you check the oil for water. Drain oil, let set maybe in something clear, check for seperation. then worry about radiator. Is radiator low?
antifreeze should not get into oil in any great amount except under pressure (unless someone puts it there) which you won't get till its hot. So until you run it you won't really know for sure.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if the rad was low, the damn cap is on the hose instead of rad (there is no cap on the rad) .. have not seen that one before .... I'll do what you say and check for water in the oil.

Just wondering, what should I do if there is water in oil pan? Is it time to pull the engine and replace with another 302 at that point? That would seem like a pretty darn serious issue!

1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )
1978 Ghia V8
1976 Cobra II

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Still could just be head gasket, relatively minor. If you find water, a compression test (which would be a good thing to run anyway if you've just bought it) can narrow it down to the questionable cylinder-s.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've done this before....

Drain the oil. Empty the oil bucket and place it under the pan w/ the oil plug out. Get a coolant flush kit from a parts store and install it, Turn the water on a bit and watch to see if more fluid drains into to waste bucket.

I guess if a wanted to he could put some duct tape around the garden hose, to make a filler, and cram it in the radiator.

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Actually it's pretty simple here, to me. Oil floats, so the water will all go to the bottom of the pan. With the pan as full as you say, there'd be at least as much water as oil, if it is in fact water. Just watch what comes out of the pan first ... if it's water, a compression check is the very next thing you need to do. If it all looks like oil, it could be just the previous owner is a doofus. Does it have a chrome dipstick? My chrome dipstick is very hard to read right after a new oil change ... it would be easy for someone to overfill.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts