Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all 302s use the same oil filter?

My car has a blueprint 331 in it. I have no clue what year the engine was from originally but i need to do an oil change. Can i just choose an oil filter from any year 302?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Fram PH8A or equivalent

Reactions: 1966Stangman

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
562 Posts
I would go with Wix from NAPA. Watch video on You tube..oil filter dissection... then make your own decision.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I would go with Wix from NAPA. Watch video on You tube..oil filter dissection... then make your own decision.
Agreed. My understanding is that Wix makes NAPA filters. Wix (#51515) is also available from O'Rielly Auto parts. Motorcraft (FL-1A) is good too.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Fram? Uh-oh. I see trouble brewing...
I have seen the videos on Fram filters and will not run one going forward, yet from 1990 to 1999 I used a Fram Filter and Quaker State oil with no issues.. has anyone actually seen a Fram filter fail? In the early 1990's, my father lost oil pressure in his 84 Lincoln immediately after the oil change using a Purolator Filter... we went to the parts store and bought a Fram Filter and put it on the engine, oil pressure was restored. Never figured out why it happened and the engine lasted another 50K miles before rod knock...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used Fram for more than 40 years and never experienced a single failure. I've since switched to Wix. Take that back I did have one defective Fram, the seamed edge contacted the block before the gasket was sufficiently compressed. Don't know if the gasket was too thin or the rolled edge not properly formed. I caught that immediately after an oil change and only a minor leak.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
Do all 302s use the same oil filter?
Can i just choose an oil filter from any year 302?
The standard filter for a 302 is a Motorcraft FL-1A, Wix 51515, Fram PH-8A and any other filter that interchanges with those numbers. What is the number on the filter that is on the engine now?
Never assume anything. If you look at my 302 you will find a Wix 51268 filter which fits a Cat 3208 diesel. Why is it on my 302? Because I have a Ford Racing oil filter adapter like this:
The FL-1A filter has a 3/4"-16 thread. This adapter uses a filter with a 1-1/8"-16 thread. The hole through the center of this adapter is larger in diameter than the hole through the center of the standard adapter. Larger hole, more oil flow.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
The main problem with the Fram is the anti drain back valve. The Fram valve allows dirty oil to seep back into the engine and additionally it allows the filter to dain if the engine is shut off long enough. This only applies to engines that screw the filter on the side of the block. If the filter is installed upright, like on a oil filter relocation, it's not a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I have used only Motorcraft oil filters on every Ford vehicle I have owned (that's a bunch) since 1992, and never had a problem. The FL-1A is great.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
Btw, my current oil filter is all black with no markings.
That sounds like your basic el cheapo oil filter that those quick lube shops use. They pay about $1 each for them and the company that makes them is too embarrassed to put their name on them. I'd be getting rid of that filter ASAP and replacing it with a Motorcraft.
The last I heard Purolator was making the Motorcraft filters. I use Motorcraft on all of my vehicles except the '65. Motorcraft has an equivalent filter to the Wix 51268 but it is "special order" so it is expensive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts