Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING::: NEVER ATTEMPT TO INSTALL AN '81 302 in a 65 Mustang!!!

I posted earlier about the possiblity of getting the 302 running this weekend...not gonna happen! :p Here's my story why:

Loaded the car and engine yesterday PM and of course, forgot half the stuff I needed. Am trying to avoid the fertilizer plant and office, but couldn't. Had to go back several times to get stuff. The guys were sympathetic though since I'm on vacation still. They told me not to get in a hurry to come back! ::

Made it to NAPA early this morning to pick the counter guy's brain I know, who happens to be an excellent mechanic. I told him, "Get ready for a frustrating order from me! ;)" LOL! First was the flywheel. Did find out the PO reversed the 157 tooth ring gear on the std tranny flywheel. Good to go, just need the right starter drive. But I left the starter at bro's house. No starter to get the correct drive for. Flywheel is going to CarQuest in the morning for resurfacing.

Next item was the motor mounts. Need new ones. The ones I had were shot and the original 289 mounts are different. We ordered ones for a 68 mustang which are the same shape and dimensions as my old ones. (I have a big inventory of junked 302's) The 81 T-bird mounts (which I got the engine) won't work. I knew that. Mystery question is whether these mounts sit the engine in the compartment at the right height. We beat our brains out for a 1/2 hour on the mount order. I was testing the counter guy at this point since I was there an hour already! ::

Big setback! And a doozy. If you have been following my 302 progress so far you will know the frustrations and challenges experienced already. This time the distributer... I wanted to use an earlier 302 dizzy and make everything the old fashioned points/coil setup. No can do. The old dizzy has a smaller diameter oil pump shaft drive, won't work on my larger pump shaft. Which means I have to use the 81 t-bird dizzy and its associated clutter of electronic ignition goodies. So I have to remove the modulator off the tbird and figure out how to wire it in to the mustang to make all the electric ignition stuff spark. Thats the primary reason the engine won't be running this weekend.

With that said, I picked up an alternator, clutch pack, rad hoses, and ordered the motor mounts. Drove to the farm, unloaded everything. Had to build a makeshift hitch/clamp for the forklift head on the loader tractor out there so I could unload the car. Built it out of old plow lays. After everything got situated really nice, I ate lunch.

Re-installed the water pump and oil pan. Engine is starting to look like an early model 302 now. I cleaned the tops of the pistons and head deck on the block in preparation for mounting the heads back on. I MAY get the heads back on tommorrow PM after stacking hay for most of the day.

So far, "ching, ching...", $250 spent today... I'll keep you posted. Still hoping to get the engine and tranny in this weekend though, then tackle the ignition later.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Never heard of a larger oil pump drive on a later model 302 engines.... All I've ever seen have been 1/4" hex, or the same as a 1/4" allen wrench.

351W has a 5/16" hex oil pump drive.

I think I would recheck that info!

·
Administrator
19,305 Posts
Heh heh, I just knew you'd come up with some kind of zinger. What in the world kind of distributor have you got that won't fit a 289/302? Ford offers the same pump shaft for all 289/302's up to 87. The Motorsport catalog offers a slightly different one for 87-95 5.0's. In other words anything you've got laying around should fit. As for oil pumps, the PAW catalog offers ONE oil pump for all 221/258/260/289/302 engines.
A little research to back up what I suspect. Almost all 289/302 oil pumps, shafts, and distributors pretty well interchange. Unless you've managed to get a 351W part in the mix, what you've got should work.
Of course after that business with the heads, I prepared to believe you've come up with a combo of engine parts unique in the world. ::

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehe! I'm beginning to think I have the most unique stash of old 302's also! :: ::

OK guys, confession time... I didn't measure the hex shaft socket on the old and new dizzies. :eek: :: The NAPA guy (who fixes chebbys ::) eyeballed the two and so did I and the 81 version looked like a larger hole... ::

Like I stated earlier, I do not claim to be an engine rebuilder and my knowledge comes from the written word, wisdomous VMF'rs, and of course, 3rd party opinion. :) FACTS, not opinions, make for a great engine!!! :D And great Chebby mechanics don't necessarily make great Ford mechanics, IMHO!! LOL!!! :: ::

Time for the dial caliper....which I left at work! ::

·
Administrator
19,305 Posts
The diameter of the "shaft" doesn't matter. It's the "ends" you're interested in. A MotorSport or aftermarket "heavy duty" shaft will indeed be larger, but the ends are smaller to fit all stock and aftermarket oil pumps and distributors.
The 351W shaft is larger overall, one the reasons 351W distributors are not interchangeable with any other engine.
Not that big of a deal, I'm sure you'll sort it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts