Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the game, and in need of help. I have a '67 mustang coupe with a 302 replacing the original 6 cyl. I have no idea what year the engine is, so it is hard to find info. or specs. for it. It has the large plugs, and the dipstick is in the front of the engine compartment. It runs rough and I need to know how to check the timing, check the points, and any other suggestions you may have. If not, maybe you could suggest a repair book that would explain these various repairs (layman's terms). Thank you.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Absolutely the best repair manual is the Ford Shop Manual... Avalable by year of the car, from most Mustang vendors.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
As you have a non-stock motor, the first challenge really needs to be to figure out what you have, what's stock, and what's not.
On a general level, you should be able to get a Chilton's or Haynes manual for early Mustangs, which will have general instructions. Checking timing, points, and other things may depend on the equipment on the engine.
Start with timing the engine by rpm or vacuum. Disconnect and plug any vacuum lines to the distributor. With the engine warm and at idle (not high idle), slowly rotate the distributor until peak idle (or vacuum) is achieved. This is a good method for getting intial timing for a driver. Going off of the timing marks on the dampener may be problematic, as the inner and outer shells of the dampener may shift over time.
For the points, it may be easier (and more reliable in the long run) to skip the points and switch to a pertronix set-up. Figure out what distributor is on the car, by part numbers or description, and post it. People can help you figure out the correct points and setting , the correct pertronix, or whatever other avenue is reasonable.
As for the engine, you can start looking for casting numbers on the block, and on the heads (underneath the valve covers), which will help you start to figure out what you've got. For the induction and distributor side, look for names, part numbers etc., and try to post them here. Worst comes to worst, find the right people, and e-mail them pictures, and they can probably even identify bizarre parts. Internal parts are going to be more difficult, but start cataloging with the outside, and you'll be having a blast in the 'Stang in no time. Plus, having done it yourself, you'll have one heck of a sense of accomplishment.

Carl

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Another thing to think about with the engine is the firing order of the plugs; if a later model 5.0l/302 was installed it could have a completely different firing order. As the others suggested; locate block/head casting dates and return back with numbers.(block - you may have to get underneath by the starter)
Most here can then give more informed answers and help you quicker.
Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts