Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I posted some pictures to my build thread but I dont see that it gets a lot of traffic and figured it would be better to take my questions to the forum. Back story being my 92 5.0 block bored .030 over, prepped/painted and rotating assembly began over the weekend with new sealed power pistons/rings rod bolts, new cam bearings. Also will be using a (mild) comp cam and going with AFR 165 heads, waiting on some roller rockers, guide plates, and ARP head bolts.

So my question being I am going to go with a serpentine belt config. and wanted to make sure I get the right timing chain cover, water pump for this thing, and also need to get a new front oil pump and pan, what would peoples recommendation be for getting these parts. Was originally a power steering car so will go back to that, and would like to add A/C so will need some bracketry. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
The timing cover, using a mechanical fuel pump, would be the '79 - '85 style. When using the serpentine, make sure you get the reverse flow water pump.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
The timing cover, using a mechanical fuel pump, would be the '79 - '85 style. When using the serpentine, make sure you get the reverse flow water pump.
What he said^

but you'll need to drill a hole in the timing cover for a dip stick and iirc a hole in the alternator bracket.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

To revisit this topic and pardon my ignorance, do you have a link for this water pump? Also, with the timing cover shouldn't it come pre drilled for the dipstick? Found a few h2o pumps but they have not said specifically its a reverse flow.. and in my world I need specificity.

P

·
0 Posts
No link needed. Any serpentine belt engine water pump is going to be reverse flow. as for dipsticks . . the location of them changed which is why you get to have the right one for your engine. They moved to the side of the engine with the invent of the Fox 5.0s.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No link needed. Any serpentine belt engine water pump is going to be reverse flow. as for dipsticks . . the location of them changed which is why you get to have the right one for your engine. They moved to the side of the engine with the invent of the Fox 5.0s.

Copy that on the H2o pump. So if I order a 79-85 timing chain cover will I have to drill it out for a dip stick and a hole in the alternator bracket, I am just trying to avoid doing so if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Copy that on the H2o pump. So if I order a 79-85 timing chain cover will I have to drill it out for a dip stick and a hole in the alternator bracket, I am just trying to avoid doing so if possible.
Yes you will.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well I posted some pictures to my build thread but I dont see that it gets a lot of traffic and figured it would be better to take my questions to the forum. Back story being my 92 5.0 block bored .030 over, prepped/painted and rotating assembly began over the weekend with new sealed power pistons/rings rod bolts, new cam bearings. Also will be using a (mild) comp cam and going with AFR 165 heads, waiting on some roller rockers, guide plates, and ARP head bolts.

So my question being I am going to go with a serpentine belt config. and wanted to make sure I get the right timing chain cover, water pump for this thing, and also need to get a new front oil pump and pan, what would peoples recommendation be for getting these parts. Was originally a power steering car so will go back to that, and would like to add A/C so will need some bracketry. Thanks in advance.
just curious for anyone who knows, don't know what year that block is but if he is going to match it up with AFR's doesn't he need to drill extra holes into the water jacket in order to match the coolant passage of the AFR's?

·
Registered
35,317 Posts
I'd probably get the M-6059-D351 timing cover with the fuel pump boss and dipstick hole and, if you have a pre-'69, a reverse-rotation water pump with passenger-side inlet so you don't have to worry about a conversion radiator.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just curious for anyone who knows, don't know what year that block is but if he is going to match it up with AFR's doesn't he need to drill extra holes into the water jacket in order to match the coolant passage of the AFR's?
K
I had not heard this before nor did the builder say anything to this effect? Hopefully somebody has some input as we just had the heads back off to mitigate some clearance issues, got new heads gaskets and heads are back on and I am due to pick it up this week to start bolting things on to finish it up.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I did a similar build not too long ago (1990 Roller)... I used this timing chain cover with the dipstick hole already in place for a front oil pickup (which is a ford part#M-6059-D351 ) on the PS... but with a serpentine setup, the only problem is that the alternator bracket is in the way of the dip stick requiring a hole to be drilled for the stick to go behind the alternator...not a big deal but something you'll need to modify..

Heres my thread on it... http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/849906-dipstick-placement-pics-5-0-conversion.html

·
Registered
35,317 Posts
See the pix below of an AFR 165.... you'll see the channel machined to allow the head to be installed on early or late blocks.... as long as you use the proper head gaskets.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See the pix below of an AFR 165.... you'll see the channel machined to allow the head to be installed on early or late blocks.... as long as you use the proper head gaskets.

Thanks for that, had not seen this before.

So as I am waiting for a timing chain cover/reverse flow h20 pump, trying to decide what intake manifold/carb would work best for my setup. I have read good things about Edlebrock series components, am leaning towards the performer possibly mated to a 600-650(?) carb. Anybody have first hand experience with or advice one way or another? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
35,317 Posts

So as I am waiting for a timing chain cover/reverse flow h20 pump, trying to decide what intake manifold/carb would work best for my setup. I have read good things about Edlebrock series components, am leaning towards the performer possibly mated to a 600-650(?) carb. Anybody have first hand experience with or advice one way or another? Thanks in advance
IMHO the Performer isn't much better than the OE cast iron piece. My two favorites have, and will continue to be, the Weiand Stealth for a dual plane and the Torker 289 for a single plane.

For carburetors, the Summit M2008VS600 for a vacuum secondary piece, and the Holley O-4777 for a double-pumper.:yoho:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Im running the Eddy RPM and Performer 600 on my 5.0 roller....no complaints...no issues

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im running the Eddy RPM and Performer 600 on my 5.0 roller....no complaints...no issues

Good to hear, I am sure there are a lot of happy customers with them! Nice looking setup you have there, I am happily awaiting the day mine looks like that!

·
Dimples
4,393 Posts
I'm running an Edelbrock performer RPM intake and Holley 4180 carb. My intake predates the air gap, but it's very similar and I'd feel good about running either. The Holley I have has a Ford part number (not that it matters, I just think it's cool), and came off a mid-80's Ford and has been rebuilt and upgraded by a carb guru friend.

I previously had an Edelbrock carb on my mostly stock 289 and it was great. I tried it on the 91 5.0 after I swapped it and could never get it to run right. It's like it was fine with the stock engine but after aluminum heads and a cam (TFS stage 2), the Edelbrock carb just didn't want to be there anymore.

Also, I used the 80's timing chain cover with mechanical fuel pump and hole-thru-the-alternator bracket, retaining the serpentine setup. No regrets there.

The 5.0/T-5 swap was the best thing I ever did for that car.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I previously had an Edelbrock carb on my mostly stock 289 and it was great. I tried it on the 91 5.0 after I swapped it and could never get it to run right. It's like it was fine with the stock engine but after aluminum heads and a cam (TFS stage 2), the Edelbrock carb just didn't want to be there anymore.
Funny thing about the Eddy Carb on my 5.0 - mine likes lower fuel line psi... where 3-4 psi makes it run just right ... doesnt like any more than that..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts