Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my stang and the motor is a 302 out of a mid seventies bronco (so I am told). The belt setup on it is a mess. The guy I got it from just tried putting a new tensioner and the disconnected AC pump back on it because the previous owner had taken it off and had the wrong tensioner with the belt aligned creating the waterpump to spin backwards (so I am told). Anyway I do not want the big ac compressor on the motor. Its useless weight, taking up space, and worst it has a bad bearing so makes a terrible racket. I don't even know if the guy I got it from hooked it up right. The first day I had the car it threw a belt because the alternator spun a bearing and the pully just got completly loose. I put a new alternator in and put belt back on. It doesn't seem to be overly tight (not sure how to measure for proper tension) but my guess is either the old alternator was just wore out or somehow the setup that the dude put on here is creating over due tension on alternator. I don't have a digital camera yet or I would show you the setup. Maybe some of you out there could give me photos or ideas. What length belt? Is there a AC delete pully I can put in the compressors place? Can I just remove it and reroute my belt? Oh yeah the belt is currently a 79" and routes (left upper) alternator (just to right of that) tensioner, (upper center) water pump, (upper right) AC compressor, (lower right) power steering pump, (lower center) crank. Hope that gives you an idea. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Unfortunately (for you), the mid seventies was a prime time for Ford to experiment with various smog systems. This leads to multiple placements of all the accessories. Actual year (sometimes even the month) the motor was made, where it was made for sale (CA perhaps?), mounting brakets, power options, smog pumps, all make this a potential problem had to diagnose.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
That's a tough question to answer without knowing what year and model of engine you have.

I believe the serpentine belt system was introduced on the 78 Fairmont and then in 1979 on the Mustang.

Take a look at the casting and date codes above your starter and post them here for deciphering.

·
Registered
310 Posts
go to the Junk Yard and find a mid->late 70's car with a 302 and V-belts.. pull the pulleys and brackets you need, then get a new water pump for the car you pulled from.. assemble just what you want and pull off what you don't, and have a happy V-belt time..

AJ

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
take a look at the casting and date codes above your starter and post them here for deciphering.
Will do. I won't be able to post those until tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts