Vintage Mustang Forums banner

302 + T5 Clutch/Flywheel problem

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bosscars 
#1 ·
This is a 5.0 block rebuilt and I'm putting a T5 in with it. We are using the T5 bellhousing and the cable clutch conversion. Since my dad likes to do things uphill and work against himself, we are working with the old stuff and keeping the 28 oz balance. So he talked to a bunch of people and supposedly found the right flywheel, from a early 70's mustang/truck or something like that and drilled for an 11" clutch assembly. So we are getting closer and closer and go put most of the stuff together for a trial fit and he says we don't have enough room .. apparently this clutch assembly is much thicker than the one originally on the 5.0's and therefore we are running out of room in the bellhousing. We actually had an old 5.0 clutch that we compared it to and it's like 3/4 inch taller. This is the three prong style clutch versus the diaphragm style in case it matters. Any ideas?

G
#2 ·
Hee, hee, your Dad not withstanding, I highly recommend you use the diaphragm type pressure plate, even if it means having a flywheel drilled/balanced again.
It is a MUCH smoother clutch and won't develop chatter problems down the road like the 3 finger will.
Of course, it will also fit your bell!

#3 ·
I don't think that big 11" flywheel will fit in the bellhousing, diameter wise. Bigger isn't always better. An older style 10" flywheel and a good diaphragm clutch will out perform that big 11 incher any day. Now the challenge is to make your pops understand that. Good luck, I know how stubborn fathers can be sometimes....

#4 ·
I have a 70 model 302 in my 65...and when I pulled my toploader to change to the T-5, I found an 11" flywheel... it wouldn't clear the new bellhousing. I found the easiest approach is to use late model parts starting with the flywheel and working backward. Use a 90 or so model flywheel and have it lightened to 28oz... costs about 75 bucks to have is rebalanced and surfaced. Now use a late model 10.5" diaphram clutch, a late model bellhousing, and a cable clutch...
all in all..it's the easiest way.

#6 ·
the ONLY size flywheel that will fit into that T5 bellhousing is a 157 tooth variety. The flywheel you have now is most likely from a 351c 164 tooth. Furthermore, by using the cable driven clutch, you also have to use the special clutch fork unique to the later model setup which dictates that you use the later model diaphragm style clutch. If your dad is worried about strength, tell him to get the Ford Motorsport King Cobra clutch which is more than capable of handling that 5.0....

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/xtreme/eng15.jpg

Just tell him its from one father to another ...... *G*

randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.