Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to use a 1986 EFI 302 and AOD, is this swap easier than the newer 5.0 EFI? Its a injected carb if that makes any sense. Or if I put a regular intake and carb on it, is it just a matter of getting the proper linkage and cable to get the A O D to work? I know about the fuel changes and the smog holes for the heads that need to be plugged. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The AOD 5.0 cars in '86 had throttle body injection where as the 5 sp cars had port injection (in '87 and later all the 5.0's had port inj). The speed density computer on the TB system is not very user friendly and doesn't respond well to mods either. Also, the pre-'88 AOD suffered from a poor lubrication system which shortens the life of the OD band in performance applications. If you already have the engine combo or it is available for a really good price you can use it for a Mustang swap by replacing the intake with a carb and manifold then adapting the TV cable to the carb linkage. I would strongly recommend that you also install the rear lube kit available from Ford to upgrade the AOD to the newer lubrication system.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
ford throttle body injection sucks for performance applications, it's very restrictive. I say go for the standard 87-up HO stuff, and get a mass air system (89 up, and some other california cars, i think) if you plan on doing performance mods

1 - 3 of 3 Posts