Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the whole Ford thing (my entire past is Chevrolets) I am having a tough time trying to time my 302. The PO installed an MSD unit which managed to crap out taking the coil with it. It has since been converted back to a stock single point distributor (it had some funky electronic distributor in it) . I did this because the engine has a rebuild coming and I was going to get a new trick high performance distributor for it then. To make a long story short, I can't even see my damn harmonic balancer, since my car has A/C and PS. How the hell do you time these things? I don't want to play it by ear, because it's running like crapola. I like to try to be accurate about timing. It ran great until the MSD went **** up, now it really sounds bad, and seems to have a miss somewhere. Not to mention an off idle stumble that is tremendous! Any ideas or suggestions? Maybe I should put a 327 in it....:)
Dave

1964 fuelie Corvette (restored)
1970 Sportsroof (project)

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
I usually take some white chalk and rub it over the timing marks, they make it much easier to read.

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a good idea. I can't even see my balancer. It's way under the A/C compressor and the power steering pump. The 70 Mustang's could of take a big lesson from the 70 Camaro. Ever open the hood of a 70 Camaro? It's a damn cavern, you can do everything. The Mustang has a big downfall in an engine compartment that's too small. I can't even imagine a big block in there.
Dave

1964 fuelie Corvette (restored)
1970 Sportsroof (project)

·
Registered
786 Posts
You may need to get under the car to put the chalk on the timing mark and have someone turn the engine over. Make sure it won't move - or you won't after it does!

You should then look for the pointer on the engine. Seems mine is on the passenger side. But make sure your points are set properly first! Point setting changes timing and must be set first. Get a dwell meter to set it. Feeler gages only get you close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts