Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew my 302 in my 69. Yeah I was doing something stupid. The block is beyond repair.
My question is, if I deside to move to a 351w long block, what will transfer over from the 302?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Tranny will bolt up.

Engine mounts will work.

Valve covers work.

Accessories on the front cover (pwr steering pump/alternator/ac pump, etc) will require different brackets.

Radiator will "work", but remember you should probably go bigger.

What won't work: exhaust(sure they'll bolt on but you'll have to change the Y pipe), distributor, heads, intake, oil pan. Plus probably more stuff. All due to the higher block deck height on the big windsor.

That should get you started, but it's not all-inclusive.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Bolting a 351 engine in will be no problem since mounts and trans are interchangeable...Not much in the way of actual engine parts exchange between the two..The heads,cam and lifters,timing chain , front cover,water pump and exhaust manifolds will work on the 351....The front pulleys and brackets are more dependant on the year of the engine and which side the rad hose exits on the water pump..Basically its 1969 vs 1970 and later...If you can get a complete 351(no matter what year) with all the front dress it will make your life much easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts