Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ID'd the 302 w/ 351Windsor heads. Block casting is 1E28L which is dated May 1971 .?.?

351 Windsor heads are D0OE which are dated 69-74.

The engine I was excited about earlier is NOT a running engine, insofar as what I've seen. Bent push rods, heavily carboned piston tops, dished pistons to reduce compression even further; an obviously slapped on head conversion tells me the PO did not do his homework. The engine can be made to run with the proper overhaul though. Problem right now is this:

We took the heads off the block and discovered some of the water jacket ports were covered by the head gasket and the lower water jacket ports between the cylinders dont match between the head and block. (See the pic. Sorry about the small print.) The lower head water port is offset in relation to the block ports, hence the gasket covering over the mismatch. Is this supposed to be or do I simply have the wrong head for the wrong block??? Thanks for any input on this.

Pics Explanations: Top pic shows the head gasket covering the water jacket ports on the block. That gasket may actually belong to the other side as the lower side of cylinder bank on block is what actually was blocked off by the gasket. But you get the picture. Only one of the two water passages between the cylinders actually circulated water. The end passages on the rear of the block were completely blocked also. Engine running at 1/2 cooling capacity the way the head gasket and head passages are configured.

Lower pic shows the "in-between" water passages on the block and the variation on the 351W head.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
As far as the gaskets go, I think the PO had them backwards and upside down, that's what I'm thinking. Any more info on the heads, such as casting #'s?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Husk.

Addtl casting #'s on the head: Right Side: D0OE.....4F13....WCP.....8A Left Side: D0OE.....4F12....WCP....7A

The issue I see can be simplified to 2 problems. 1: The lower water jacket port between the cylinders does not match the water port location on the head. The lower water port on the head is offset to one side to make room for the head bolt.

2: The head gaskets were installed correctly insofar as the basic orientation. But the gasket is either the wrong type or the guy didn't cut out the water port openings in the gasket itself. Half of the water jacket openings were blocked off, even if the holes matched up between the block and head.

I'm trying to find out if this head is going to work with this block. I would still have to live with not having a functioning water jacket port on the lower side of the cylinder bank and limited circulation. I don't think that is good.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Don't worry about what was on there, concern yourself with what you will use !
You aren't necessarily looking for an exact shape-for-shape, hole-for-hole matchup. You should see the larger rear edge ports on head and block with a good size gasket hole connecting them, same for SOME of the bottom holes, particularly the ones between the cylinders. At the top and front, you may only have smallish (.20 or so) holes lining up. This is a huge generalization, but a good guideline. Is there any indication that the engine was running hot?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The 302/351W water ports are shaped differently. The 302 is rectangular, while the 351W is "L" shaped. This is not a problem, I've been running this combo for 10+yrs. Use the 351W intake gasket.

G

·
0 Posts
Use the 302 head gaskets and make sure and look at the head gasket and install it with the word front on the gasket toward the front of the block. One side will look upside down but as long as the word front is to the front of the block it will be correct. Also use the 351w intake gaskets. The end gaskets will be too long, so you can either use a large bead of silicone about the thickness of the end gaskets to seal the ends or buy a 302 intake gasket and use just the end gaskets. I hope this helps. I have this combination on my race car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts