Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled from 65 mustang originally from 79 Fairlane. Trans rebuilt two years ago clutch and trans have about 1500 miles on them. Engine has mild cam other than that there is no history, current owner has had it 2 years. Last ran 2 months ago everything in good running order. Current owner put it in the 65 while he was rebuilding the original 289 and assembling parts for AOD install. I'm currently running a tired 289/C4 in my 66 coupe and have been thinking about going with a toploader in the future. This 302/4 speed combo comes with everything ( pedals, linkage etc) asking &1200 or best offer. What woud you value this at considering I was going to have to buy everything anyway for the C4/toploader conversion??

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
There is no '79 Fairlane. If you meant '79 Fairmont, then that is not a 4 speed toploader, but a 3spd with OD.

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
2nd on the 3 + 1 transmission.

Check for a tag on the passenger side, and it should have a code, like HEH-P, or RUG-AE. The case will also have a cast in part number, starting with C5 or C7 or D1, etc.

3 + 1 codes include RUG BP RUG CA RUG CL RUG CD

Real Top Loader Codes:

Toploader ID Chart

How to identify a 3 + 1

Toploader Imposters

There is also a group of "top loaders" call SROD, Single Rail Overdrive. They have a pronounced "tube" on the side.

To most people, the SROD and the 3 + 1 are worth 4 cents a pound, scrap.

P

·
0 Posts
If it's a '79, it cannot be a toploader. The impostor link above shows you the difference. But don't go by the "tube" alone. The early 3+1s didn't have that . were used in Granadas and sorts. Be careful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke with owner tag reads RGU-D2 so it's a wide ratio toploader out of 86/69 Fairlane/Falcon so I'm good to go. Tried to get it for $1000.00 but he wouldn't budge so $1200.00 for engine, trans and all parts I need for the conversion to my C4 car so I guess I did OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts