Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a water leak which I have tracked down to the area between the block and the timing chain.
I have removed the water pump, but before I rip any furthur can someone verify that I don NOT have to remove the damper and oil pan to remove the timing chain cover. Looks like the fuel pump has to go. Anything else to look out for?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
You have to pull the balancer to remove the front cover. A new seal for the crank will come in the gasket set for the front cover.

Drain the oil before you dissasemble.

Robert

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
As 66benchcoupe said, the dampner must be removed, and you need to replace the front seal when replacing the cover. The oil pan can stay. The new timing chain cover will come with a front pan seal, as well as the corner cork pieces to replace the front section of the oil pan gasket. Be sure to use lots of gasket glue in the corners of the pan/tranny cover mating areas, as they are prone to oil leaks if you don't.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I agree but I prefer to leave the oil in the pan until after I have removed the timing chain cover and cleaned all the gasket surfaces so if anything falls in the pan the oil will more than likely carry it and the water out the drain plug hole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts