Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 5.0 block out of a thunderbird. I verified multiple times TDC and installed HEI distributor. Got it to run a bit on the 13726548 order. Moved the distributor micro bit and can’t get it back. Pulled it and reset TDC again but all I get is popping and some flame blowback through carb. I do get the deep throaty piston lobe...at a loss.

I did try the standard 302 firing order for giggles and it just pops. There is no ignition at all.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
^ ^ ^ This.
Remove the valve cover and watch the valves. TDC is when both valves are closed and stay that way til the exhaust valve on 1 opens on the following upstroke.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Find TDC on #1 cylinder then install the distributor so the rotor contact will align with the #1 plug wire contact on the distributor cap contact. Are the plug wires inserted into the distributor cap in the proper order. Are the wires inserted in the correct clockwise or counterclockwise direction? I am not up on small block distributor rotation direction. Dave R.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So voltage to HEI while starter is turning is 9volts. I checked timing with valve cover off and verified it is a 13.... firing order. I ran a 14 gauge from back ignition switch before resistor. Maybe larger gauge?

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
If you are getting spark as indicated by the backfiring through the carb you do not have a wiring problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am at a complete loss...carb was recently rebuilt by reputable person, just seems this engine is F ing with me. Am I flooding it by trying to contimual adjust and start...does it just hate me. Never had one this painful

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all. I wanted to let you know it was a waaaaay to rich carb. The lesson out of this one is to not take short cuts for TDC and I learned how to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts