Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few teaser pictures of our 1970 test car. We've been working on something really cool the past few years and its almost ready to be released. I can't share to many details right now other than we are able to fit a 315 tire on a 17x10.5" wheel under our 1970! Only body mods were rolled fender lips. I'm pretty excited!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
So, should I try to unload my current SoT front coil over setup before you introduce this new thing that allows big fat tires?
Definitely looks meaty!

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, should I try to unload my current SoT front coil over setup before you introduce this new thing that allows big fat tires?
Definitely looks meaty!
No, certainly not. One of the things I'm most proud of is our design team were able to pull this off with the existing suspension components. The '70 pictured above is using our current coilover system.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Just a few teaser pictures of our 1970 test car. We've been working on something really cool the past few years and its almost ready to be released. I can't share to many details right now other than we are able to fit a 315 tire on a 17x10.5" wheel under our 1970! Only body mods were rolled fender lips. I'm pretty excited!

View attachment 769654

View attachment 769655
So how long will you keep us in suspense?!?

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Using 17" wheels! I smell spindle shenanigans?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Using 17" wheels! I smell spindle shenanigans?
My guess too as it's the easiest, imo. The other ways are shorter control arms, or move the arm mounting points on the chassis.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Some form of drop spindle to clear the UCA with a redesigned steering arm to clear the wheel, corrected as to not introduce bump steer?

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
331 Posts
That's a mean looking 70! What size tire out back?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
So what's the point ? Looks ? Brian

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
So what's the point ? Looks ? Brian
Being competitive in autocross for me. My car is somewhat competitive but limited by tire size. I hear most every weekend "your car is great but you can't fit enough tire under it to win with the SCCA rule changes in CamT. No way are 315's going to fit under a 65-66, but I would certainly be in the hunt with 285's vs the the 245's I'm currently running.

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being competitive in autocross for me. My car is somewhat competitive but limited by tire size. I hear most every weekend "your car is great but you can't fit enough tire under it to win with the SCCA rule changes in CamT. No way are 315's going to fit under a 65-66, but I would certainly be in the hunt with 285's vs the the 245's I'm currently running.
I will be working on 65-66 rim/tire size possible combinations in the coming few weeks. Will post what I find is possible.

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I sincerely hope its affordable by the common man. I'm so sick of watching guys with 315s beat my times on 225s. I am close enough that I am quite sure if I had the rubber I could beat them. I still think they should have a CAM-TC class Classic American Muscle cars - Traditional Cheaters, for anyone running flairs - its like having VW bugs and WRXs in the same class. Your mod might create a new definition but hey, I'll take 315s in an heartbeat even if I have to go coilovers in the rear to make it happen.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So I have been checking the SoT website.

2” drop spindles. BILLET spindles. Man they look bad a$$... and the use of “$” is appropriate... gotta start saving.

Sorry Shaun if I stole your thunder

Allows for some meaty tires in the front.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Very cool, but I don't understand how that much tire will fit inboard. My 65 with 235's rubbed on the steering box bolts, how would you fit almost 2" more tire ? I guess with perfect backspacing, mine had some room outboard ... I'd love to see a demo install on an early car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts