Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very cool, but I don't understand how that much tire will fit inboard. My 65 with 235's rubbed on the steering box bolts, how would you fit almost 2" more tire ? I guess with perfect backspacing, mine had some room outboard ... I'd love to see a demo install on an early car.
My guess is that the turning radius is reduced as a result. For a street car that is bad, but for a track car I don' t think it matters that much. How many street cars run a 10.5" wheel with 315 in the front anyway? :)

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
They certainly look nice! The price is about what I figured for USA made and a limited market. I had 1.4" drop spindles on my car until mid season this year when I swapped them back to regular height big pin spindles that my car seems to like better in the corners. Maybe they have some tweaks to make it play nice with the 2" drop? I imagine they quicken the steering as well with the shorter arms.

Reactions: Shaun

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My guess is that the turning radius is reduced as a result. For a street car that is bad, but for a track car I don' t think it matters that much. How many street cars run a 10.5" wheel with 315 in the front anyway? :)
The '66 test car had a 10" wide wheel and 275 tire and a 37.1' turn dia.

It's on the alignment rack right now with a 10" wide rim and a 285 tire... I would say that is generous though, this car always did seem to have more room than most (for some reason). Most 65-66 cars should stick to 275.

I drove the '70 with 315's around just fine, didn't notice any issues maneuvering around the streets.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
The '66 test car had a 10" wide wheel and 275 tire and a 37.1' turn dia.

It's on the alignment rack right now with a 10" wide rim and a 285 tire... I would say that is generous though, this car always did seem to have more room than most (for some reason). Most 65-66 cars should stick to 275.

I drove the '70 with 315's around just fine, didn't notice any issues maneuvering around the streets.
Interesting. No clearance issues with the frame rail or steering box bolts ? No work on the fenders other than rolling the lip ?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Interesting. No clearance issues with the frame rail or steering box bolts ? No work on the fenders other than rolling the lip ?
Rolled fender lips only.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Do they have to have the coilovers? What happens to the geometry of the UCA when the ball joint drops that far.

Do you have separate sets for 65/66 and the 67+ or do we (early car owners) still have the Granada steering bumpsteer effect from running a late model spindles?

Wow, $2k for the spindles, $2.5k for the coil overs, $2.5k for brakes All required if I am reading the site correctly - then another $3k to get rid of the leafs to go wide in the back. I might be able to build coil over mounts into my Watts link and add fab some struts but nominally $10k to add 2" of rubber and be competative. Big pill to swallow...

It was a fun dream though...

·
Vendor
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Do they have to have the coilovers? What happens to the geometry of the UCA when the ball joint drops that far.

Do you have separate sets for 65/66 and the 67+ or do we (early car owners) still have the Granada steering bumpsteer effect from running a late model spindles?

Wow, $2k for the spindles, $2.5k for the coil overs, $2.5k for brakes All required if I am reading the site correctly - then another $3k to get rid of the leafs to go wide in the back. I might be able to build coil over mounts into my Watts link and add fab some struts but nominally $10k to add 2" of rubber and be competative. Big pill to swallow...

It was a fun dream though...
Naturally I’ve only tested the spindles with our components. Other combinations may work, I can’t test them all so up to you to verify suitability.

Geometry is improved over our coilover with Shelby drop and stock type spindles. Bump steer was reduced 50% on my ‘66.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Shaun, do you have a side by side picture of stock 65 spindle to your new one?

Reactions: rpm
21 - 30 of 30 Posts