Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy if you start googling 331 or 347 stroker kits on the internet, you can end up down a wild rabbit hole with endless links.
So, I'd figured I'd go right to the source of Mustang guys!!!!

Anyhow, I'm doing a street build for my 66 Stang.
88 Roller Block is at the machine shop, punched .030 over.
I have a set of Twisted Wedge Track heat 170s to bolt on.

Would like to be around 10:1 comp with my 61cc heads. It'll be NA, and a street car.

Looking for a good affordable source for a decent kit for this build.

I've got a budget around $1100 for the kit, and I'd much rather single source the kit vs parting it together. (I feel I can get a kit for a better price)
Can anyone help point me in the right direction with some experience with a brand/company?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I’d buy from a reputable vender. Summit racing would be my personal choice. As far as Scat vs Eagle or whatever you should give the vender a call and see what they have the least problems with.

·
Registered
21,341 Posts
Personally I would pony up the extra money and have a reputable shop build the shortblock. On Corral.net Woody who owns Ford Strokers. He said he rejects a third of all brand new cranks due to improper machining. You don't build engines nor do I for a living. We wouldn't know all the little things that need to be checked. Once you supply the parts, anything wrong or goes wrong with them is going to be on your done. If the shop builds it the shop is fully responsible.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I would pony up the extra money and have a reputable shop build the shortblock. On Corral.net Woody who owns Ford Strokers. He said he rejects a third of all brand new cranks due to improper machining. You don't build engines nor do I for a living. We wouldn't know all the little things that need to be checked. Once you supply the parts, anything wrong or goes wrong with them is going to be on your done. If the shop builds it the shop is fully responsible.
I hear where you're coming from Husk. But, I've got a great machine shop/builder here locally. He's a bit booked up right now on assembly, so I'm just doing my due diligence to source some parts. I plan to assemble myself, but he'll check all the parts before any assembly happens.
It's surely not my first motor assembly, and won't be my last.

Besides, I do enjoy building my own things.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I don't think Woody does stock block build anymore, but he does sell stroker rotating assemblies that have already been inspected and balanced if you want it.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My block is already at the machine shop. Don't need a shortblock....

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ford Stroker kits are $1350. DSS sells for $1150. Both unbalanced.
I'm trying to stay closer to $1100.

But I guess you do get a free lifetime to his SBF Building page with all of those videos and tips. That's kinda nice.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
True, but it should eliminate the possibility of having to return an out of spec crank. The quality of the components may be better also, I haven't checked that in detail.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A lot of good advice. I have been debating all of the things listed here myself. Buy an unbalanced kit from someone like Summit and have it balanced locally and assembled into my block also machined locally. This takes the chance as has been noted that the crank will be out of spec. Woody is well respected and I am sure would not steer you wrong but you would still end up working with your local machine shop since he doesn't do stock blocks anymore and not everyone needs a Dart.

I think if you trust your local guy and can read a Mic you buy the unbalanced kit and have him check it and you double check it.

I would add that if you go that route you need to pass along final specs of your kit to the machinist so they can tailor the final hone to the pistons and rings you will be using. Before all that machining is done you might consider clearancing the block if you go with a 347. I don't believe you have to if it is a 331. You don't want to have to clean it twice.

Also I would suggest you make sure your new kit is 28 oz imbalance if using your original flexplate or flywheel. Also a 28oz is a good idea if you really plan to lean on it.
Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Reactions: cturboaddict

·
Registered
821 Posts
I bought the Scat 331 kit from Jeg's.
It's currently being balanced, and once those parts com back, assembly will begin.
The quality of the Scat kit appears to be high, and the machinist was impressed with them and has seen plenty with no problems.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
CT, you said is bored already ? Is it honed also ? If so, Im going to question the competency of the shop. One shouldn't bore and hone without the pistons you are going to run. How do you know the finsh size without the pistons ? Are your bores relieved at the bottoms ? Without a rotating assmbly, how do you know where to grind ? LSG

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CT, you said is bored already ? Is it honed also ? If so, Im going to question the competency of the shop. One shouldn't bore and hone without the pistons you are going to run. How do you know the finsh size without the pistons ? Are your bores relieved at the bottoms ? Without a rotating assmbly, how do you know where to grind ? LSG
Yes, I just swung in the shop. It was rough bored, he was prepping for final hone. We discussed him purchasing parts vs me purchasing parts and where to get parts from. He mentioned he typically sources multiple vendors for each part. I mentioned that kits may be more affordable and would do my due diligence in talking/looking as well.
I hadn't decided on 331 vs 347 for clearancing yet...

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dss for mine. Great customer service
I spoke with Fordstrokers over the weekend. Really informative conversation, and made me very comfortable about buying from them. Haven't reached out to DSS yet.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Ct, what can your engine guy get ? Ask him for Scat 1-94060. Cast crank, forged I beam rods, Mahle flattops. Gives you 9.94 to 1 by my math. Whatcha think ? LSG

·
Registered
192 Posts
Coast High Performance is another good company to look at, they build a lot of performance sbf engines. I bought a 347 Scat rotating assembly that they balanced from them. Maybe a little more than you want to spend, but they know what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I’m close to CHP coast high performance here in so cal. Gardena Ca. Built my 347 stroker. They have been in the ford stroker biz for 20 yrs. check out there website. See what they have to offer.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ct, what can your engine guy get ? Ask him for Scat 1-94060. Cast crank, forged I beam rods, Mahle flattops. Gives you 9.94 to 1 by my math. Whatcha think ? LSG
Haven't discussed with him just yet. I'm going to reach out after Christmas to see what he says.
This is roughly the same comp numbers at zero deck that DSS's 331 kit offers (9.98:[email protected] deck, the 347 would be 10..8:1)

Coast High Performance is another good company to look at, they build a lot of performance sbf engines. I bought a 347 Scat rotating assembly that they balanced from them. Maybe a little more than you want to spend, but they know what they are doing.
Yeah, CHP is a little high for my budget.

Spoke with both Fordstrokers and DSS. Both very knowledgeable. Fordstrokers seemed a bit more on the plus sides in the messages we shared. Very straight and to the point. DSS had what seemed to be more to offer in terms of parts. (Well, atleast they made them sound more glamorous)

Both Fordstrokers/DSS
SCAT or EAGLE Cast Crank

FordStrokers Rods Scat Forged Steel I Beam Connecting Rods with 8740 7/16th Capscrew
DSS Rods Scat Forged Steel I Beam Connecting Rods with FREE upgrade to ARP 3/8 rod bolts

FordStrokers Mahle 4032 Forged Pistons (Flat -6.5cc Twisted Wedge Reliefs) with Mahle Plasma Moly File Fit Rings (1mm-1mm-2mm)
DSS FREE upgrade to 2618 Alloy Forged FX Series Pistons (Flat-5cc Twisted Wedge Dual Vale Reliefs) Forced Pin Oiling and Drilled Oil Returns with X Groove. CNC Lightening at 5% (1.2mm-1.2mm-3mm)

At the time of writing, pricing on unbalanced kit is
Fordstrokers: $1350
DSS: $1180

While DSS offers what seems to be a better package at a lower cost, Ford Strokers does offer the SBF building website with videos and what not. Seeing I'm planning on building at home, I may find this useful as I've never built a stroker. Both are using essentially the same crank and rods (with the difference of bigger bolts on the FordStroker kit). The real pudding comes in with the pistons. Mahle is a well known piston, DSS makes their own. So DSS is able to offer their piston at a lower cost possibly than the Mahle in the Fordstroker kit.

I attempted to search back through threads looking for reviews on the 2 kits, but unfortunately I cannot find much information. Biggest issue I see from anyone was when they actually had DSS build their motor on a stock block. And the stock block cracked in half. Most of these guys were racing. Also, the internals held up after the block decided to take a long walk off a short bridge. On the other side, Fordstrokers seems to be quite coveted in the Foxbody realm of things.

My goal is really only 350hp/350tq with plenty left in the bag if I ever decided to upgrade blocks down the road.
FordStrokers recc the 347 kit
DSS recc the 331 kit

All in all, this is a big purchase and I tend to over evaluate things with too much research.
If anyone here was in my shoes, what direction would you go looking at the above information?
Regardless, I'm really leaning towards a 331 vs the 347. (And no, I'm not worried about oil consumption so please let's not derail)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Yes, I just swung in the shop. It was rough bored, he was prepping for final hone. We discussed him purchasing parts vs me purchasing parts and where to get parts from. He mentioned he typically sources multiple vendors for each part. I mentioned that kits may be more affordable and would do my due diligence in talking/looking as well.
I hadn't decided on 331 vs 347 for clearancing yet...

Prepping for final hone before he’s got the pistons in his hand is strange..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts