Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other than the pistons, rod, crank, and rings, is anything else different on a 347 stroker than what u can put on a stock 302? should i not go with a 347? i will drive it a couple times a week on the strip once in a while. i dont want my engine to blow after 20,000 miles from pretty normal driving with a little beating on it. what should i do? i can buy a 302 h.o. block an a 347 stroker kit for about the same price as a 351w.....what should i go with?

·
7,065 Posts
Now...hold on there now SuperCJ...this question isn't as easy as you make it. You need to consider the advantages of a 302 stroker in this application.

1. It's lighter.
2. It'll fit right up with the exhaust.
3. If you already have a good intake/carb, it'll swap right over.
4. It's smaller.
5. You can fuel inject it if you want and still fit it under the hood (thinking here of a 5.0L swap)
6. It'll look stock to the casual observer.

I'm sure there are other advantages as well. I like the stroker idea. I like it a lot. I agree with the previous thread that said to go over to the corral websight and ask this question. Those guys know a bunch about this.

And...if you want to go with a 351...then I'd stroke that too! If 351 is good, wouldn't 408 be better?

Good Luck!

Phil

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had always intended to put a 351W in the Fastback and latched on to a number of 351s over the past several years. However, when it came time to finally decide on the engine, I went with a 342" stroker based on a new 5.0 block. The external dimensions, weight, and header selection were the deciding factors. After maintenance operations like removing the valve covers, checking plugs, etc, I'm glad I went with the smaller engine.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I agree...if you gotta go stroker go with a 351 stroker.
If you are looking for a specific performance # go with a 351, if you are overly concerned about reliablity go with a mild stroker 33somthing or 39something.

JMHO

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Couple questions...

What's your budget for this project? There's a lot more to building this drivetrain than just an engine, especially if the car is going to see track time..

Is this your first performance engine buildup?

What is the HP goal for this combo?

Will you be retaining the Top Loader?

What rear end does the car have currently?

What engine does the car have currently and what performance modifications, if any, have been made to it?

Get back to us...

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Listen to the words of wisdom from Pat.

There's WAY WAY more than the engine to consider.

I'm running a 347 stroker putting out somewhere around 650 with super-charger so I may be biased. But you must consider cost of upgrades to rest of car, All the HP in the world will do you no good if your Tranny and rear end can't handle it.

Mark

·
Registered
391 Posts
For daily driving and weekend hoursepower the choice seems easy for a 351W. Without a stud girdle and a comfortable rev limit of 5,800 RPM the 351W reliably can make four hundred horsepower and pounds of torque the 351W is like money in the bank. Look at the rod angles on a stroked 347 and compare them to a 351W, then think in terms of piston side load in those cylinders and durability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts