Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that if you can not afford a set of AFR or any other type of aluminum racing heads that a set of 1969-1974 351 heads would be a nice set of budget heads for the stroker motor. I was also informed that a set of the GT40 heads would be nice as well. Is there any suggestions out there? I am a college student on a budget and really can not afford the $3000 for a nice set of aluminum race heads so any suggestions?!?!

·
Registered
21,330 Posts
Actually you can use up to 1976 351W castings, after that they were basically crappy 302 smog heads. 351W heads despite having bigger valves and a bigger intake port still have the same size exhaust port as 289/302 heads. By the time you have the heads ported, ect, you'll have a fair amount of money tied up in them to the point that a set of aluminum heads aren't that far away. The GT40 heads have bigger exhaust ports. You should be able to pick up a set reasonable because they're old tech but will still make power. You can also use GT40P heads which are a little better but have a different plug angle and may have innterference issues with most headers. I'd suggest looking for a set of used aluminum heads as a lot of 5.0 guys like to upgrade frequently.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You don't have to have fancy, expensive, alunimum heads to run pretty well. If you are in any way handy with a grinder you can clean up a set of cheaper cast iron heads and do well. I run an old set of cast iron Windsor Jr heads and run high 11's to low 12's depending on the weather and traction. I've been told that I must be lying because that can't be done.

I would forget about the stock castings for the least money/effort to performance investment. You can make them run but its cheaper and easier to get some cheap aftermarket iron heads to run better and they will likely cost the same or less.

If you are looking for good cheap get a set of cast iron heads bare, home port them by mostly just doing clean up and gasket matching, get a good quality set of Manley valves and they will run fine.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Talk to tricitycylinderheads. They are selling knock off Jr heads for under $800 w/valves.
$3000 for race heads..bit of over kill if your running a street motor.
Or even a set of canfields...but your original question. Yes you can definatley make a set of 351w perform. I have had mine on for about 6 years now..recently ported them. thought I had a powerful motor back then..::
I basically built a poor mans stroker....030 over 302 with a 351w heads..1.94/1.60 valves..balanced and with the right cam...there has been quite a few High dollar race motors that have been spanked by it.
Hottarod and CAM* can obviously back that up also.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I am not sure, but I think you are about $1,000 too high in eastimating the cost of a set of AFR 185 heads. In any event, you could pick them up used for around $1,000 or less, I suspect.

World Products and Dart make cast iron performance heads. I am disappointed with the Edelbrock performer rpm heads as I never obtained the power which the money I spent should have produced. Everything I have read suggests AFR, TrickFlow and Brodix hedas rank tops, with Brodix being a No. 1 by a very very slight margin above the AFRs for typical street performance cams.

It is the synergism of parts that makes performance, not one or more particular parts. By this, I mean the best set of heads in the world willd do very little if you don't have a matching intake and cam, plus open up th exhaust. Performance is a derivative of your budget, so your challenge is to define your budget for the entire project, then adjust your expectations to match the budget. Seems to me that you've already started down that path, though. I'd look for a used set of AFRs or TrickFlow Track Heat, matched with JBA shorty headers, dual 2.5 inch exhaust and either Edelbrock, Flowmaster, Dynomax, Borla or equivalent mufflers, a Weiand Stealth or Trickflow intake, and a vacuum secondary Holley 4v in the 650 - 710 cfm range.

good luck.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
My daily driver '66 has '69 351w heads on it. They are un-ported, but do have screw in studs and Harland Sharp roller rockers on them. With the RPM intake, a Lunati cam, and KB flat top pistons, my 289 runs consistent 14.1's @ 100 mph, with a big ol' honkin' AOD and 9" rear in it. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts