Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference between the 351 modified and the 351 windsor?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first one makes a great mooring for your boat the other one is a great place to start for a performance engine

Greg B

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree with the previous post(LOL) But seriously, The 351W Is built similarly to 289&302 engines but has a taller deck height,larger main journals,Windsor dedicated Intake manifold,oil pan,crankshaft and connecting rods . The 351M is built similarly to the 351C also with a taller deck,larger main journals,429&460 bellhousing pattern,dedicated intake,cranks,rods,etc.... The "M" is for modified as the engine is a modified version of the "Cleveland" engine.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

·
Registered
514 Posts
What they said is right on. The 351M is a basically a 400 block with a 351 crank in it and really long connecting rods. A low performance, torquey motor, in the same family as the 400, 351C and harder to find parts for.

The 351W is a 289/302 with a taller deck height, longer stroke crank and beefier rods, main caps, etc. A much better engine to start with these days because of the tons of 5.0 speed parts out there. From what I understand the weakpoint of the 351 is the big rod journals that aren't designed for high-rpm operation. Still a good motor from all accounts though, cheap and able to make plenty of power.

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts