Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 351C 2 bbl V8 2 bolt main. Still in running condition. I have been told that for the street.This would be a better block then the 351 C 4bbl 4bolt main. If so..and money was no object. How much horsepower can I expect to get out of it..properly machine and put together, with out blowing it to smithereens. Since this V8 will be in a vehicle with a automatic, and 3:50 rearend, quickness is what I am after. Thought I should mention that this V8 May be in a chevy, thus the name ChevFord..

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
For street use, the 2V block is fine....IIRC, there were 2 bolt 4V blocks as well, with the Boss 351's having the 4 bolt blocks...I don't remember for sure if the HO blocks were 4 bolt or not...I think they were.

A well-prepped 2V engine should be good for 550 hp or so with an automatic trans...

2V block better? I'd say less expensive but not better...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
313 Posts
There isn't as much strength difference between a Ford 2 bolt and 4 bolt main setup as there is with a small block Chevy. The 2 bolt main Chevys are very weak compared to the 4 bolt versions. I ran a 302 with a 2 bolt main block at mid 11's in the 1/4 with no problems.

But like Pat said, 4 bolts are better if you can find/afford one. They're just not as necessary with a Ford as they are with a Chevy.

Dave J

My wife says if I buy another Mustang, she's gonna divorce me. I'm sure gonna miss her....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts