Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 351 cleveland, 4v in my 69 fastback. i posted earlier about the PO crushing the header pipes and the clutch linkage binds up on it still anyways. so now im faced with the decision of wether to go back to stock manifolds if i can find a set, or try another set of headers that can actually fit. If someone makes headers that dont need major modification with a hammer like the ones currently on the car, i would rather go headers. but if there doesnt exist such a set of headers, ill go to manifolds, does anyone sell stock manifolds?

Next i would like to upgrade the top end, i know the 4v cleveland heads are fine as is, and i was thinking of a new intake manifold, what are your guys recomendations for an intake?

TIA

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If you run manifolds it's best to run the 1970 driverside manifold. It has the kink in the rear port to clear the steering box.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
As HemiKiller posted earlier, Ford Power Train makes a set that will fit (www.fordpowertrain.com) but they're not cheap. I paid $700 for the set (ceramic coated) for my 73 vert. I looked at Hooker Super Comps but they hang lower than the tranny pan and I couldn't afford the loss of ground clearance.

If you decide to go with manifolds just get on EBay. Shipping will cost you more than the manifolds themselves (they can't give the things away).

As far as intakes are concerned, the best depends on your combo. The best all-around intake is a Blue Thunder dual plane, but it's pricey and is taller than the factory intake (possible hood clearance problems if you have a shaker or ram air). For a stock motor the stock cast-iron M-code (square bore) intake is pretty good. An Edelbrock Performer is lighter (aluminum) and might be a little better below 3000 rpm but gives up the ghost around 5000-5500. I would not run a single-plane intake (like an Edelbrock Torker) unless you change the cam and valve train and are planning to rev above 5000 on a regular basis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts