Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ran across an engine and was told that it was a mid 70s vintage 351W. I found the casting number and wrote it down:
C90E-6015 B 8
I was under the impression that the "C9" indicated 1969. I also noticed that the spark plugs were 14mm, which I also understood was the size of a Clevelend engine's plugs.

Can someone with casting numbers knowledge tell me what this is and possibly where it came from?

And, where can I get a guide/manual on ford casting numbers?

Thanks,
Dcubedus

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
That casting number (C90E-6015-B) was used on blocks for 69/70, right around there should be exact casting date-look for what like two slotted screw heads(one at each end) with something in the format of 8B23 for example(as the date code). As far as I can remember the early 351W heads were like early 302- large (18mm?)spark plug threads. Possibly someone changed heads in past.I bought some of my general guides from a "Robert Lane", they were sold at the swap meets in Carlisle, Hollander manuals are also available for Fords with specific car applications-like Mustang etc., I am sure there are more at Barnes/Noble, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
lots of stuff to see to compare 351C vs 351W

Cleveland heads use smaller plugs and the valve covers have 8 bolts on them. If the block is a Cleveland, the upper radiator hose attaches to the block.

Windsors have 5 bolt holes on the valve cover, and Windsor blocks have the upper radiator hose goes into the intake manifold.

Boss 302's (and the aftermarket Clevor) used a Windsor block and Cleveland heads - so that would still have the water going into the intake, but the valve covers would have 8 bolts.

That should help you ID the motor...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,660 Posts
Looks like a 351W. "O" stands for Torino, but for all purposes it's identical to a 69 Mustang engine. If it has the correct and desirable C9OE matching heads on it too then all the better. If you wish to rebuild and/or modify this engine, be aware that the 69-70's had a slightly different deckheight. This only really affects which replacement pistons and pushrods you shop for. Most parts catalogs (PAW for certain)list different part numbers for the early W's quite clearly.
IMHO, the 69-70 351's were THE best W's to get hold of until they came out with the roller cam F150 Lightning engines. A good find.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! Evidently the block is a 351W as it matches the descriptions that you have provided above. However, I am certain that the plugs are 14mm but the valve covers (aftermarket edlebrock) have 6 mounting bolts.
A quick glance at the heads yielded no casting numbers. Where are they located? I will post them after I find them.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The casting number for heads on a Windsor on the underside-visible with heads removed easily. If installed on engine, and intake is removed, you might be able to read them with a mirror, they are on underside of head in the overlap area where pushrods pass through the head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts