Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the word from the machine shop today they said I have to go .040' over to clean up the cylinders. The machinist said that a 351 cleveland should not be bored more than .030'. So my question is has anybody that bored their cleveland 040" over had any problems cracking the cylinder wall. I did read on a cleveland site today that it can go up to .125" max bore, which seems like quiet a lot to me.

Just looking for some peace of mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Clevelands are sorta famous for the blocks being of unreliable thickness, so you can't really bet the farm on it being thick enough. The only really reliable way to go about it is to have the block sonic checked and see what it will safely bore to with metal left over to prevent any issues.

·
I won a special award
7,982 Posts
As I stated in your other thread about this issue, have the block sonic checked. If it's thick enough, you can go .040 over.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
One of mine is .060" over and is fine. Another is .040" over and it is fine. The last is .030" over and so far so good. I haven't ever had an issue with mine, but a sonic check sounds like cheap insurance prior to investing a bunch into machining and parts only to have it come apart later.

·
Registered
737 Posts
69 Rustang said:
One of mine is .060" over and is fine. Another is .040" over and it is fine. The last is .030" over and so far so good. I haven't ever had an issue with mine, but a sonic check sounds like cheap insurance prior to investing a bunch into machining and parts only to have it come apart later.
Mine is .060" also with no problems.

·
I won a special award
7,982 Posts
jsgarron said:
What's considered thick enough(Dim)?
I can't remember what the minimum that is considered safe as it's been around 20 years since I last played with 351c's. A good machine shop should know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts