Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!!! I have a 289 in my Coupe. The guy i bought it from says its a 289 bored out to a 302. I dont know if thats possible or not i'm not an engine buff by any means. I did find out it has 351 heads (D0OE). They put an Edelbrock 2212 Performer Plus cam kit, Performer 289 intake and a Carter 650cfm Carb on it also. I need to know what kinda compression i have. I called Comp Cams yesterday and the guy was askin me this and i was at a loss for words. I want to put a new cam, Performer RPM intake and Holley 650carb, and port-polished the heads. Anyone recommend a street/strip cam. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. HAPPY 4TH of JULY!!!!!!!!Osama's favorite resturant-Thank Allah Its Friday.Thanks agian guys. Any other recommendations will be appreciated also.
Heath

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Couldn't tell you the compression ratio

After all I've read, I would NEVER polish the intake ports of a street motor; the rough cast surfaces apparently do much to prevent accumulation of fuel in spots.

I'm choosing a crane powermax dual pattern hydraulic cam....for smaller motors either the 260/276 or the 272/284......I've never been impressed with the performer cam specs

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You need to determine which pistons you have to make a prediction on the compression ratio.

As for a 289 to a 302, it's possible. But it takes more that just boring the cylinders.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The guy i bought it from says its a 289 bored out to a 302.

IIRC, the bore would have to be .100" out to get close to 302 CI without putting a 302 crank in there. Likely he just stuck a 302 crank and rods in there (with 289 pistons...the same)...that's OK

Knowing the stroke and piston top configuration is necessary to compute CR. My instinct is, as a 302 with early W heads, the CR will be in the low-mid 9's. The chambers on the W heads are a good 5 cc's larger on average. IIRC, I had to shave the iron heads about .030" and run .300" domes to get 12.97:1 CR on some of the early 302 efforts in the race car with that particular combo.

If you plan on changing cams, to render a valid opinion, I'd need to know the rest of the engine/drivetrain combo and the vehicle's use. Take a look at this page for a comprehensive list. I tend to be conservative so you tell me what you like and I'll tell you what I like...*G*

If you go larger on the camshaft, you'll have to re-check valve-piston clearance and check for coil bind and correct rocker geometry (better safe than sorry)...

Not knowing anything else, I'd go with a cam with around .500 lift, dual pattern, lobe center 112-116, with no more than 220 IN and 230 EX @ .050" lifter rise.

Lastly, and this comes from 100's of hours of experience (I'm not proud of being covered with cast iron dust, trust me), spend most of your porting time on the exhaust ports and valve bowls and transition radiuses. I never touched the intake ports on the W heads on my racing engines other than to port match to the manifold and do the bowl and short side radius work. The particular example I spoke of above (in the CR comments), with a Holman/Moody cam of similar specs to what I recommended, W heads, Edelbrock Torker, 3310-1 Holley and an 8" converter/5.14 gears ran in the 11.20's @ 119 mph in the race car. What made it work was a mild camshaft and high compression...getting the car to leave hard is what gets it down the track fast..

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Doubt that the engine was bored to 302. It is possible, but doubtful. IIRC, boring a 289 .040 yields something like an additional 3 or 4 cubic inches.

If the engine has the standard dish-top pistons, the compression is probably somewher between 8 and 8.5 to 1.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your posts. I did find info on the Performer camshaft In 204 Ex 214 Duration @ 0.050. I've got the motor tore down to the block now. Am i gonna have to take it to a shop and have it completely tore down to find out what the motor realy has done to it??? Found the VFM lingo page. I feel like i got Hooked on Phonics. No more racking my brain!!!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts