Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to switch from the factory 2v cast iron intake to a alluminum 4v intake. The factory intake used a metal pan as the gasket, could anyone tell me if this is the same type of gasket to use on the aluminum intake. Also does anyone know why Ford likes this metal gasket instaead of the typicle fiber gasket. Ay help will me greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Yes, you need it...I personally don't reuse them; I'm sure some folks do

It serves as gaskets and a valley pan that keeps hot oil off of the underside of the intake...keeps temps down somewhat .....even more so if the heat riser ports (those small ports halfway down the intake side of the heads) to the intake are blocked off

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You didn't specify whether you have a C, W, or an M. No info in your Bio either.

But the answer is yes, you can use the metal intake gaskets with aluminum intakes.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
On My 351c with 4v heads and intake, I used the pan gasket and fiber gaskets. According to the instructions in the gasket box you use both. The pan gasket is to keep hot oil from splashing on the underside of the intake and fibers used with a little gasket sealer seal the intake ports and sit between the top of the pan gasket and the bottom side of ports on the intake.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hate to be the odd ball but I've never used the steel gaskets on a performance engine! I use the Fel-pro gasket,I think its #1228 and have never had a problem. As for the valley pan keeping oil off the intake, sure it might help a little bit but all makes of motors have the same deal and very few use valley pans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts