Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pondering what new engine I'm going to build for my fastback. A 351W would be nice, but I'm not sure about how well it will fit. Any recommendations on headers that fit well with the stock clutch linkage? I suppose hood clearance is also a problem, I'd like to keep my stock hood or maybe go to a Shelby hood. Any info you guys could give on shoe-horning the sucker in there would be appreciated. I've also been thinking of going with a 347 stroker kit. Everything would fit a lot better, but the stroker would be a lot more $$$. Anyone care to compare the two? In the end I want a reliable engine with enough power to smoke brand X bone heads when needed.

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
On hotrod tv they put a 351 in a red 65 fastback and had to put a cowl hood to clear the air cleaner. Didn't look good.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

·
7,033 Posts
Personal preference really. If you're really wanting to make the thing cook go with the 351 and stroke IT. Hedman makes conversion headers. Maybe a 392 would be nice? I probably would have gone that way myself, but I hate spending money twice, and I already had an intake I really liked for my 289 which won't work on a 351W. My ultimate plan was to finish my current engine building project on the 289, and then move all the performance goodies to a 347 later, but now I'm not so sure.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
If you use any kind of hi-rise intake, hood clearance will be a problem with the Windsor. My car has a stock Ford 4v intake and clearance is not a problem. Everything I've read about them suggests that the 347s are a race-only engine because of the oil consumption (and other problems) inherent to the relocated wristpins.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

G

·
0 Posts
You are telling me! That looked terrible - I was hoping they'd put a shelby hood on it (will it fit?) - but they didn't. It was a nice project otherwise -- I would like to know the total cost.

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I talked to a guy at a car show last September. He had a 71 351Boss, He bought the car new in 71. The car had a 347 stroker in it, He had the original engine at home on a stand.
He said in his opinion the stroker was quicker than the 351Boss, he really liked the stroker. I was suprised by that.

73 351C C6 3.25 T-lock
Mustangs are great,
But nothing is Greater than GOD.
http://www.folksite.com/TFOB

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm almost ready to seriously bite bullet on the engine for my 66 fastback. During all these many years of restoration, I have always planned on a 351W. Over the years I have collected a number of 351W blocks, including a 1969, to build a 377, 408, 392, or even a 427. However, as decision time approaches and real $$$ must be invested, I have begun to reconsider. The weight, size, and appearance (like the 289) have me going with 347. I believe the newer 347s have the piston pin location/rings fixed, and they typically produce around 400HP. Also, the header selection and availability are much better with the smaller engine. I have been talking with a group in Alberta, Canada (long way from my home) about a 347. Anyone ever heard of Xtreme Engines? There web site is: http://www.xtremeengines.com/html/main.html

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You are right about the oil consumption problems. Coast
High Performance has a new piston setup that cured the
oil problem. I also have been considering my next motor and
have pretty much decided on the 347 Streetfighter. Being
able to keep my 302 bolt-ons and clearance problems was
a big factor for me.

65 FB "J" 302 lots of mods. 94 GT K&N only.

G

·
0 Posts
I dropped a 351W in my 65 - a real bolt in. Need to use headers since the left cast iron manifold will contact the stearing box. I have an Edelbrock intake manifold and had to use a low profile air filter to clear the stock hood. Everything considered, a great low $$ swap.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Of course it is hard to dislike something you put money into. This may be a factor for him liking the 347. Maybe/maybe not.

Don
1965 Convertable, 351W, Tremmec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

1 - 12 of 12 Posts