Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a stupid question,but how do you tell a 351w
from a 351c.i have a free 351? given to me.which is best for my 68 stang.the engine came out of a 78 ford truck.
PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS ONE..EMAIL TO [email protected]

·
Registered
680 Posts
From a '78 truck, it should be a Windsor, but, never know...Look where the top radiator hose hooks to the engine.
If it goes to the intake manifold, it is a Windsor. If it looks like it goes straight to the block, it is a Cleveland.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If it has the original valve covers they will say as well ,,,it could be a 351 W or a 351M the cleveland was long gone in 78

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
If you look at the 351c in this picture you can see how the upper radiator hose mounts down and into the block.

If the motor is a windsor the upper hose goes into the intake and not the block.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/images/01enginebay2.jpg

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Or, count the number of bolts holding a valvecover on - 6 bolts on Windsor, 8 on Cleveland.

Watch out - If this is a cleveland, coming out of a 78 truck, it's probably a 351M, which has no performance potential in a Mustang! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
easy...probably is a 351M

look on top of the the upper corners of the cylinder heads close to the intake......

if theres no letter or number its a windsor

if there's a 2 it's a 2V cleveland

if theres a 4 it's a 4V cleveland

if theres a M it's a boat anchor (just kidding, it's a 351 "modified".....a difficult to work with 351 kinda like a cleveland)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
A easy way to tell if it's a M or C is the area by the distributor if it rises to the t-stat housing about 3/4 inch it's a M , if it looks flat it's a C.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Avoid the M engine, not because it's necessarily bad, but because performance parts for it are somewhat limited...also, IIRC, it has the 429-460 (385 series) trans bolt pattern, which is different from the 351W, C and 289/302's..

If you plan on leaving your chassis near stock, I'd go with the 351W.....I run one in the race car and find it to be a reliable, low-cost performer. You can build one to run low 14s, high 13's on a relatively modest budget, likely between 5 and 7.00/HP, depending on level of durability.

For example, as I had the cores for the race car W already, it cost me just a bit over 4K to build the engine entirely from scratch, with alloy heads, back in '95. With a more modest HP goal, you should be able to do it for roughly half that cost...

Have fun!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was taught to look at the fuel pump bolts. If they are vertical then it's a Cleveland. If they are horizontal then it's a windsor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts