Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what HP/performance gains could i expect? I am trying to determine if changing heads, cam, lifters are worth the HP gains i would see.
1970 351 W, .40 over bore, mallory igniton, 4 speed toploader, .325 trac lock 9" rear, hooker long tube headers, edlebrock 650 carb, 1.6 roller rockers. i do not know how much HP i have now i would guess around 330-350 at flywheel,maybe? if its not a noticable performance increase i dont want to go through the trouble.

current heads - trick flow 170 with 61cc chambers (stock) - considering Trickflow 190cc 11R Heads with 56cc chambers - or AFR 205 CC Heads
current cam- comp duration .280/.280, @.50 .230/.230, lift .512/.512, 110 lobe sep. (hydraulic lifters)
considering trickflow stage 2 cam.
i would go to retro fit hydraulic roller lifters with new heads and cam.

Opinions are welcome!!!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I don't think I would change unless I was changing the rear end too. In fact, I would change the rear end for performance gains before your heads or cam. It would get you into the engine's power band sooner.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I would change unless I was changing the rear end too. In fact, I would change the rear end for performance gains before your heads or cam. It would get you into the engine's power band sooner.

thanks for the reply, what would you do with the rear end?

·
Registered
33,843 Posts
Well, I'm sure with the right heads, cam and carburetion change you could probably step up that HP to 500+.....

Wouldn't be that much fun at light throttle, though.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would suggest you talk to a cam grinder and see about keeping your heads and just having a custom cam ground for your specific desires. If you plan on keeping the current gears and the toploader you don't need higher rpm power but usable torque. The cam you have has a fair amount of duration but not much lift. I'm sure it could be improved but it might take a roller. The heads you have probably flow plenty for what you want. Many folks consider the TW 170s to be comparable to the AFR 185s.

·
Registered
721 Posts
look at it this way, if you sold your 170's put that $ towards the heads then you will upgrade for little more invested. i would definitely go that route. afr205 head, with a edelbrock rpm air gap & that trickflow cam will be easy 500 hp or more. will be a very stout but tame street car engine

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It’s very easy to wake up a stock motor and find as much as 100HP., but you’ve already done that. The law of diminishing returns begins to assert itself for that next 100 HP. You’ll spend a ton of money and move the power band up the RPM scale, transforming the character of the car (and maybe not for the better). I’d suggest you consider a drop-on EFI system and something in the 3.55 - 3.73 gear ratio range if you’ve got $2k lying around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts