Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put a 351 windsor in a 66 Mustang? What problem did you incur, mods did you make and what exhaust did you use ? Was thinking about doing this again. Thanks Neil

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yep. It can be done. The problem areas are exhaust - you'll most likely have to go to headers (I'm using Hedman shorties- 4 speed Z-bars may interfere), motor mounts - they'll have to be the 66 'ear' style, cooling - a 3-row radiator at minimum, and hood clearance - hi-rise manifolds are a no-no without hood mods. Otherwise, the installation looks pretty factory. You will love the torque!

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

G

·
0 Posts
Put a 351W in a 65. Used the stock mounts, 289 water pump and timing chain cover, JBA headers (which had to be modified despite "guaranteed fit"), Edelbrock intake manifold w/Holley 650DP which cleared the hood with a low profile air filter. Definitely need an oversize radiator and fan if in warm climate. I did the surgery and grafted in a 27 inch Howe aluminum unit. Be aware how the water pump hose is configured (which side for radiator planning). Need all 351 bracketry. Everything else is bolt-in. A really good swap.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Last summer, I put a 351W in my fastback. It is fairly straight forward to transplant. There are a couple of areas that need to be addressed.

1. The big thing that you have to work with are the headers. I used a set of heddman long tube header with no problems. It's a tight fit, but they're in there. There's a few other choices, but I've always used long tube headers, and heddmans were the least exspensive. You also will need the power steering relocation bracket. If I was to do it again, I'd go with a set of JBA coated. But they are very, very exspensive.

2. There's also a couple of brackets that bolt onto the heads, I can't think of their proper technical name, so that the 289/302 alternator and ps brackets can bolt to. If you have power steering, I had to change over to a '69 power steering pump. The 66's had the large filler tube and that interferred with the head.

3. You need to get a different oil dipstick and tube. Or you can remove the mounting tab and reweld it so it bolts to the 351W head. I bought a new tube and used dipstick for about $10. If you stay with the auto, you'll need one for the tranny dipstick also.

4. The starters are a little different. I think that one has a longer nose than the other.

5. The clutch, if you build a hot 351W. A place that you don't want to cut corners or go with the cheapest available. I originally went with too soft of clutch and I could just roll my foot into the accelerator and smoke the clutch Or if the clutch was lucky enough to hold, I'd light up the tires. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I've swapped out the clutch for a 10.5" clutch that's been rebuilt with very heavy springs in and put in a lakewood bellhousing.

6. While I was at it, if you go with a stiffer clutch you can kiss the z-bar goodbye. Out of the possibilities I went with a McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing. Works very smooth.

7. Hood clearance. If you stay with a stock type intake, like an Edelbrock performer or RPM, you should be fine. I went with a Victor Jr. and a 1" spacer and now I have a hole in my hood for the scoop. *G*

The tranny should bolt up with no problem, unless you currently have a 5 bolt bellhousing.

My 66 fastback came with 65 style motor mounts. They work, kinda. Someday, I'll swap out to 66 motor mounts. They raise the motor a little, which would give the headers a little more room.

Pretty quick, I hope to have some picks of the motor in the car and I'll get my website up and running.

If you have specific questions about the transplant, drop me an email and I can go into more detail

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I have no idea what I am going to do. There is nothing like cubic inches and I have to rebuild something for this car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I gather a 302 would be simpler?! Same foot print/engine as the 289? I understand a 302 is just a a 289 with bigger bore? Other internals to increase the CI? Stoke? Might be better to stick with a 302? I know they can be stroked, not as reliable, but I don't drie much. cb

·
Registered
556 Posts
dodgestang said:
Wow....digging up an oldie here for no real reason aren't you?
lol, when i was reading this i was wondering why someone with 600ish posts didnt know if a 351w would fit or not... now i see, its a 6 year old post

1 - 10 of 10 Posts