Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was possible to make a 351 cleavland into a 427 stroker? If not, why can you do it with a windsor. I was just wondering because I always thought it would be cool to make a 427 stroker and I was just wondering why you can't use a 351c. I've seen that you can make a 393c and 393w. Which both have the same 4.030 bore. Can you not fit the 400m crank into the 351c and you can in the 351w? If so why not? ::

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Can you not fit the 400m crank into the 351c and you can in the 351w?

Notwithstanding snout differences, the main change made will be to grind the M crank to the C main bearing diameter. The M and W have the same main diameter IIRC. Then, I imagine the M crank is offset ground on the rods to a smaller journal size, which gives the additional stroke over the standard 400M stroke, which is 4" IIRC.

The main negative here, IMO, is rod angularity. The rod to stroke ratio is somewhere in the 1.4- 1.5 range, depending on rod length. Definitey a low rpm piece.

Only big unknown for me is whether the crankcases of the W and C are similar as far as space for crank counterweight and rod rotation. Hopefully a VMF'er who's done one can answer that question.

IME, even a stock stroke W can run into the 2 hp/ci range without much high tech gadgetry. The emminently mild example in my race car runs about 1.25 or so hp/ci and could just as easily be run in an occasional driver on the street with normal life expectancy (20-30K before freshening)

Hopefully, you'll get further input from others...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Actually back in the day, the 400 crank and 300 6cyl rods were the way they did it.

Nice thing is, from what Ive read, the 4V heads REALLY wake up with the cubic inches.....at that point make the guide bosses streamlined, backcut on the exhaust valves, remove casting flash, and remove that silly bump in the port and youre probably in business!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts