Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found someone selling a complete 71 351c 4V engine. He said it came out of a 71 ford wagon about 15 years ago and was running at the time. Does anyone know if the 71 wagons really came with 351C's or could this be a 351W or 351M? Are there any numbers I can check on the engine? Last but not least, what would this engine be worth, considering it is not rebuilt and has not run in 15 years.

Thanks,
Perry

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
BEWARE-I am not sure but I dont beleive the 351c 4v was available in a stationwagon.Even if it was,there wouldnt be anything special other than the heads.FastE

·
Registered
526 Posts
I started at a Ford dealership in 1976 so I don't know for sure which engines were available in 1971 but if have access to the engine you can do a quick check for which version it is. Look at the fuel pump. If the mounting holes are vertical then it is a Cleveland. If they are horizontal then it is a Windsor. There are more ways in determining but this is the quickest.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what would you pay for a 4V engine that needs rebuilding and hadn't run in years?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The C coolant thermostat is in the front of the block with 2 vertical bolts and in manifold of a w with 2 bolts positioned horizontally. That engine is not worth squat without a guarantee that the block will clean up by .030. Without a guarantee plan on buying a boat anchor.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Theres open chambered heads and closed chambered heads on 4V Clevelands. I sold a pair for $250 to a stock car driver. I also sold the 4 bolt main block for $225 more. And that was 10 years ago!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts