Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen it refered to as bolth the smallest of fords big blocks and one of fords larger small blocks... which is it. for that matter, what exactily is the difference between a big block and a small block? sorry for the retarted questions /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

- Jason

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Big block and small block is a Chevy thing, doesn't fit well to Fords "families" of motors.... A Cleveland is in the 335 engine family, along with the 351M and the 400.

If I had to say, however, if a C was a big or a small block, I'd definitely say small block. Closer to the weight and size of a small block, small block bellhousing.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,823 Posts
I agree with the Chevy bit. The C is generally called a small block because it bolts up to the 289/302/351W transmissions if for no other good reason. The bigger 427,428,460 etc have a larger pattern and a bigger tranny bellhousing pattern.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Personally, I call the C engines small blocks, just as I do the 351W's, mainly because some small block parts and transmissions will interchange. The 351M, although the same size in CI, is a physically different and larger engine and shares some dimensions and transmissions with the 385 series (429, 460)...

I've also heard the C's called medium blocks....go figure *G* What I do know is that they can be fast...

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I have always thought of it as a small block..I think the FE series are called big blocks..I have a '59 T-bird with a 352 and it is reffered to as a big block..*LOL* go figure

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If a 289/302 is a "Sub small block", wouldn't that make a 427/428 a "Great Big Block" compared to a 390 and a 460 a "Really Great Big Block"?

Two classifications work for me. (BTW 351C = small block in my book)

G

·
0 Posts
A confused small block since it has the bell housing bolt pattern as mentioned earlier but it's distributor interchanges with the 429 which is a big block in anybody's book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts