Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need someone to verify the location of a coolant hose on a 351c. There are two coolant passages just below the headers, one is driver's side in the rear of the block under the header, the other is passenger side under the header I believe rear of the block as well. I am going to have to take the factory sodered in Barb for the coolant passage out and tap it for an AN fitting. It's leaking and what I thought was the hose, it's actually from the block and Barb connection.

Can anyone verify where these hoses go? From what I remember they connect to each other , is that correct? I haven't driven my car for a bit and I connected the two together not thinking and now can't remember.

Thank you and any recommendations for AN size?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Dust, I have two Clevelands now, and have build dozens when I worked at the engine shop. I'm not picturing what you're talking about. Water fittings under the headers ? Can you take a picture and post it ? LSG

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is an identical Barb that is on the passenger side. They both leak from the block, not the hose. My solution is to heat them, extract them and thread the hole and run a stainless hose with AN fittings in their place. Please let me know if I am routing them correctly (to each other) and if that's a viable plan. As of now I can't drive with them leaking the way they do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the passenger side. It looks blocked off on this block. Is that an option? I found this photo from Pantera owners. Forgive me if it isn't a coolant crossover I'm not sure the term.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
It looks to me like those are just the standard drain holes that can be found in just about any engine block. They are threaded with a standard NPT pipe thread and the factory put plugs in them Some people put drain petcocks in them. There is no reason to put a barb fitting in them and connect them together with a hose.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine came with the Barb's installed with what looked to be factory installed

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Dust, those are for the drains, there should be a plug in there or a petcock. They are normally closed off. Don't know WHAT was the thinking putting a hose barb on that !?!? LSG

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No clue, I got the block that way on the way to picking my car up a long time ago, I bought the engine completely dissassembled. He took off the crank when he lifted it with vice grips it looked like, scratches everywhere. Anyways they were in the block and I thought nothing of it and figured since it was a dry intake it transferred water from one side to the other... Whoops.. I never said I knew everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts