Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to make sure I won't need anything else. That it just fits right in. I have a C-4 auto tranny for now. Thanks.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
351W is a pretty straight forward swap with 289/302, dunno about 351C. Should physically fit fine since 70 is similar engine compartment to 68 and 70 had 351C as option.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
The motor mounts are the same, and the bellhousing pattern is the same, and the 351W and 351C used the same flywheel. Use the radiator and hoses for the 1970 351C. Easy conversion.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you use the stock exhaust manifold you will need them from a 1970. The driver's side on a 71-73 points down at an angle where the 70 points almost straight back. Don't know if there would be a steering box issue or not.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If using headers, hooker super comps swap header part number 6210 will require 3/4 inch shims between the motor mount and engine. The rest should be a bolt in, enjoy the new mill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. Another question, will my AC compressor still fit? Here is my current 289;

This 351c is supposedly a long block. Here it is;

Basically I am trying to gather all the facts, and parts if any I need when I try and do the swap. I dont want to get going and find out I need something and have to wait and order it.

edit, forgot to mention he has headers and pipes too that go with it. However, it was made for an old truck street rod so probably wont fit. The story goes, a guy built it for his hot rod truck, died. His nephew got it. The crank turns but has never seen it run. So I am going to check it out, and see if its the real deal or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts