Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 351C block with a crack in the cylinder wall into the water jacket. Has anyone ever sleeved one of these blocks and had any problems. Since the blocks are harder to find we wanted to save it for a spare. We have sleeved other blocks with great results but not a 351 Clevland.

Ductman

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm not sure how much it costs to sleeve a block...however, if i were a betting man, my money would go on the side of... it's not worth it...since it's just a cleveland block. They really aren't that hard to find. Now, if it was a Boss9 block, that's a totally different subject.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I'd do it. You'd at least have one good consistent thickness cylinder wall without any possibility of core shift..... ::

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Pressing the sleeve in throws the adjacent cylinders out of round, requiring an overbore. If it's a standard block, then I'd say go for it.

Robert

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The block was a fresh 30 over and had about 5 passes at the track. Customer dropped a bolt down carb, beat the hell out of the valve and piston and cracked the block. We have already built him another motor. The only cost would be for the sleeve since we have all the equipment to do it at the machine shop. We have several hundred blocks setting around and do not have any 351C's to play with. We will try sleeving this one.

Thanks
Ductman

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've sleeved a 351 Cleveland block before in my drag car and never had a problem. Didn't have to bore it after the sleeve was put in. It ran the same before and after the sleeve was put in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts