Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some motor work work done today.
Casting numbers on my block are as follows:

d2ae-ca and a date of 3c18 I believe (little hard too read)

My 4 bolt main caps have DOA ED cast on them

My heads have a 'G' a 'D1AE' and 'GA' on them.

Can anyone translate these numbers into English for me:)

And finally if this head code is meaningless...how can I visually tell the difference between 4v open/closed/quench?

Thanks all

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I could be wrong, but the block casting code (D2AE) is 1972, but then the casting DATE is March 18, 1973... Are you sure teh date code on the block isnt a 2C18?

Main caps are 1970.

Heads are 1971. Open combustion chambers are COLMPLETELY round. Closed are shaped like a pointy D.

Valves should be obvious... 2V are big, 4V are MASSIVE.

G

·
0 Posts
I looked in my mustang book and didn't find anything that would possibly match up to those numbers. Could your engine and heads be a non-mustang combination?

G

·
0 Posts
d1ae-ga=1971 4v closed chamber[squench same thing]61.3-64.3cc chambers, 2.19 intake, 1.71 exh, from "m" code car
good head,but doesn't breath well at low rpm, i'm building an eng with them now, doing all the research i can to increase low end torque, duel pattern cam, 220-230 at .050
advanced 4 degrees,port plates,duel plane intake,650 cfm
good luck, these eng's can scream

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The block is a 71-74 CJ 4 bolt mains. Keep in mind that a guy on the 335 cleveland forum found a block with that number and it was a 2 bolt. Your block was cast as a canted valve said march 18th of 1973. I show the heads as being off a 1971 4v with closed chambers. A open chamber has a round combustion chamber and the closed has a chamber that wraps around the valves and spark plug ( kind of in a trianglular shape). If you have closed chambers I'd advise maybe slightly dishing the pistons to around 10 to 1 compression. Closed chambers run harder so I'd stick with them.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I am planning on stroking the motor and have picked out dished pistons already. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts