Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i checked out the rods, I have a flat top piston with valve reliefs that will give me a 9.5-1 compression ratio. I checked number 5 piston assembly If i put 5 on with 1 then the chamfer will face the other rod, is this going to be a problem, Pistons are marked with with a number h555, machine shop owner wasn't in today so I don't know the make of the piston. I read that the chamfered end of the rod should always face the crank journal? So if a 1 goes with 5 then 5 must have its piston put on 180 degress out.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Typicaly speaking as long as the notch on the piston faces forward and the chamfer on the rod faces the radius or cheek of the crank,the rod numbers don't matter. What matters is that four rods are mounted one way and four are mounted the other. What more than likely happened is a "Chevy guy" assembled the pistons and rods thinking that Fords are numbered like Chevys are. I've seen worse things though like putting the thrust bearing in the rear journal of the block "It just wouldn't go in so went got my hammer and a block of wood and it went in fine after that." You'd be surprised how many times I've heard that one.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/030/44/30304480.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey,
Do your pistons have four valve reliefs or just two...?

The reason I ask is, if they just have two, the piston has to be on the rod right to work...

Although I match each rod to its place on the crank (this sets the rod thrust clearances), as Racerx76 mentioned, you can put any rod on any journal as long as the valve reliefs and the rod champher are in the right spot....

Take your time and make sure everything is correct...
I'm guessing the shop didn't match particular pistons to their bores (the shop I use hones each bore to a precise clearance for its piston). You might want to get their take on things before proceeding...

I'll be away the next couple days but the engine gurus here will help you through any tough spots...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
664 Posts
Generally speaking, when I assemble a set of rods and pistons I already have the pistons numbered and fitted to a specific cylinder so all I have to do is match the numbers on the pistons with the numbers stamped on the rod. That way there is no mistake to what piston goes where. I do however agree with Pat, I would stop what you are doing and get a hold of your machine shop ASAP and find out what they did exactly before you continue and possibly make a costly mistake. Scott

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/030/44/30304480.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts