Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 351C, 4V & 4Vheads that I'm going to be replacing headers on because of a ground clearance problem. Exhaust kits for this 70 Vert seem to be mostly 2 1/4". Is that OK for this engine, or do I need 2 1/2. What was stock size? Looks like 3" are on there now and that's way more than I need. Car will be a street car, not drag car. Also, flowmaster 40's or 50's?--looking for nice deep rumble, but not real loud. All opinions, recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have a 351C equipped 69 coupe.
I have a set of FPA headers, an X pipe and flowmaster mandrel bent tailpipes.
The exhaust system was installed/fabricated by a local shop, and I got great results.
The ground clearence is fantastic since my car is lowered.
Avoid Flowmasters like the plague. They are really loud INSIDE the car. I have the FRPP Dual Mode mufflers and I am totally happy with them. However they are now stupidly expensive.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Ditto on the Blowmasters. I have 40's on my car and the wife and kids refuse to ride in it until I change them out.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I would look into having a local shop fab you up some 2 1/2" pipes like mentioned above. Flowmaster makes 50 & 60 series in 3 chamber, however I prefer the 2 chamber and have put nothing but Flowmasters on my cars. The sound is second to none.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
With a convertible, I would pass on the Flowmasters. Try the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. They don't have the nasty interior noise of a Flowmaster. If you want something a touch louder than that, Hooker Aerochambers sound really nice, without the droning.

Ditto on using the Flowmaster tailpipes though, they fit great and you don't end up with some crappy looking crush bent tailpipes. Have an exhaust shop do the intermediate pipes, which are a bit tricky on a convertible.

IMHO, 2 1/2" is perfect for a street driven 351C-4V.

Something to consider before you drop a ton of money on new headers and exhaust, what size tires are you running? If you have 205/70R14's on the front, you'll always have ground clearance issues. You have to run around a 25.5"~26" tire on a 69-70 for proper ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i just replaced mine with a kit from mustangs unlimited.
the fit was decent, I had to fix alot of stuff due to rust damage.

i'm a little worried that the driver's side tail pipe comes close to the rear axle brake line when the suspension is compressed. overall the fit seems ok, its the first exhaust i installed myself. its a 2 1/4 with turbo mufflers. I did have to modify the reproduction exhaust tips to fit the pipes but nothing a dremal couldn't handle.

It sounds good outside and inside the car, no funny pitches or droning. I would of liked it to be a little more quite but from what i had on the car before its a big improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts