Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after talking adnausiam about this topic last night, I have deternine some of my problems.

The PO has the alt mounted incorectly. He has the bottom (pivot point) screwed to the grounding tab that is cast into the block (which explains why I coundn't find it.) and the adjusting bracket mounted on the top of the alt arced up.

Evidently the alt is suppoed to mount with the pivot screw into the pass. side head in the bolt hole that also holds the oil dipstick and the bracket is suppose to arc downward. This will have the effect of spinning the alt in the opposute direction that is has been running, since it will no sit upside down from its previous setup. Is this a problem? DO they only run one way, or is it ok.

And of course, to complete the mount, I have to pull out the bolt holding the adjuster bracket, which is on the front of the water pump assembly and behind the pulley. Yes you guessed it, its a long long bolt and can not come out without removing the fan and upper pulleys. Any suggestions on this part of the re-install?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I don't believe running an alt in the opposite direction would affect output; it may not be mechanically designed to run that way, but the alternator first creates three phase AC in the windings then the six internal diodes convert it to DC...diodes only conduct in one direction (usually....I won't get into reverse breakdown, intentional and unintentional)

I could believe it would cause a new wear pattern to form on the brushes and the commutator that MIGHT accelerate their wear.

1.21 Gigawatts!?!?!??! great scott...LOL

(for anyone that ever wondered, 1.21 gigawatts is 1,210 million watts....generally the realm of lightning bolts, nuclear reactions, and GOD ALMIGHTY!!!)

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How the heck do I get this stupid top pulley off!

I unbolted the fan, and it has a 2.5 inch grey spacer that pushed the fan in close to the rad. I assumed the spacer would come of with the fan becasue the fan bolts went throught this spacer and into the pulley. Now the fan is out, the spacer is still there, and I can't see crap because its in close to the Radiator....which I really do not want to remove.

Is the whole assmebly slide in on a rod and if I pull hard enough it will walk up? I assumed there would be a bolt on the front of the pulley, could the spacer be threaded on?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
How could it be reversed? Even flipped upside down it should turn the same way. Pointing the alt fan to the back of the car would make it go the wrong way and as you said it would still charge,but the alt fan would be going backwards.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in my own universe. Thank you for visiting.
Don't forge to stop by our Gift shop on the way out.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey!! I did it.

The spacer was just 'stuck' and needed a little gentle persuasion from Mr. Big F Screw Driver. The alt is not mounted in its proper spot and tightened down......so now I have a good ground spot.

On to the starter motor /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts