Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had midlife out here today, and he was checking my shorts for me. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Where is the grounding bolt on a 351c located and/or where do you ground yours? I used to have mine grounded on a water pump bolt, but I moved that ground to the bolt that holds the oil dip stick in place which screws into the head.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm that doesn't seem like it will work.
My Battery is on the left and to get there I would have to go under the pulleys. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
the hook-up is on the same side... the battery is on right... the hook-up is on right... LIKE I SAID!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

As you face the engine (as in in front of the grille), it is on the right bottom.. below the alternator.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets try this another way. Using only the directional elemnets supplied in this photo, were is the ground screw? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/confused.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,232 Posts
CV: you're confusing the poor guy. It isn't when he's facing the block that it should be on the right, it's when he's seated in the car, facing the block.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
its just under the alternator

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't know if you found the hole yet, but, look right under the front bolt on the exhaust manifold for #1 cylinder. Below it you will find a lug on the front of the block. It has a tapped hole in it. This is where the ground goes. Don't forget to put a ground strap on engine to frame. This is VERY important....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Dodgestang, I was reading the other side of this under Midlife's post. I wanted to pass some theoretical stuff, if you know this already, forgive me and maybe some young guys will get it

DC electricity is always a circuit, so you need an in and an out (+/-)

The starter will take the most amperage all at once, so you connect positive directly to the solenoid (battery cable) and negative can go anywhere on the block. It doesnt matter, but to keep things clean, we usually go on the passenger side to the block, or to an intake manifold bolt (not as pretty) Those two battery cables handle all the motor needs

The next problem lies with input output to the rest of the car, and this is where guys screw up. Right now, with only a neg cable to the block, there is no way to ground the interior, lights, heater, etc to make that negative circuit back to the battery so we have to add a ground, this isnt optional, somewhere it has to make a circuit

Most run a wire from the back of the intake to the cowl, but you could also hide it by going from the block to the frame, as long as you are connecting the body to the block you make a circuit for the rest of the car. Think of it this way, power goes to the interior, then grounds through the cowl to the intake, then through the battery cable in the block to the battery and all is well

Last, that little wire you use from the intake to the cowl, keep in mind it is grounding EVERYTHING except the motor itself, so its better to be big than little, too many guys use 14g wire then it eventually fails

Again, if you know this, I apologize, but I wanted to make sure you werent fighting a grounding problem

G

·
As I face the motor, mine is on the bottom LEFT, in the very front........Maybe your cleveland block is different....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts