Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the engine together about 10 months ago - had it dyno tuned - and set it aside 'till now. Started prepping it to finally put back in the car and I noticed the heads at the read looked like they may have leaked....bummer. Anyone have an optimistic opinion??

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Looks to me like I can see your intake gasket squeezed out and you have oil leaking from it that rode along the lips a little while and then ran down the block.
Did you wipe the area at all prior to taking the photos?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Looks to me like I can see your intake gasket squeezed out and you have oil leaking from it that rode along the lips a little while and then ran down the block.
Did you wipe the area at all prior to taking the photos?
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Put the engine together about 10 months ago - had it dyno tuned - and set it aside 'till now. Started prepping it to finally put back in the car and I noticed the heads at the read looked like they may have leaked....bummer. Anyone have an optimistic opinion??

It may be just the pic angle, But it looks like the head gasket wasn't compressed equally when torked. or it wasn't retorked after it was heat cycled.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'm with dodgestang on this. Did you use that rubber end gasket and silicone? Kind of looks like it, that's a one or the other application. Use a bead of silicone across the back and front or use the gasket with just a dab of silicone at the ends. If you use both you are more likely to have that gasket squeeze out, like the picture looks.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
It may be just the pic angle, But it looks like the head gasket wasn't compressed equally when torked. or it wasn't retorked after it was heat cycled.
I have never retorqued a head gasket after a break in or replacement, and never had one leak from lack of doing so.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not wipe.
I did not retorque.
It was thrashed on the dyno the put away - oily ('cause the boys at NAPA used silicon on the rear main when they replaced the crank bearings, so it was spewing because it tore).
When we installed the airgap intake we tried the silicon only path - but the gap was pretty big so we tried the gasket only - after torquing I could move it around - so we used both - the gasket is tight and on Clevelands it's got rubber pins and 'stops' on the inside and outside.
I'm thinking some the paint got really hot on the engine dyno (the cooling system is not pressurized and there's no thermostat) and the paint on the left got oil under it and flaked and maybe the right side is the result of a 'hotspot' from the dyno pulls.
I wish these things would fix themselves...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts