Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading another post got me wondering about something:

When hooking up the heater core on a 351c.....does the connection from the block hook up to the top heater line and the connection in the water pump goes to the bottom heater line or vise-a-versa?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Wow, you`re actually going to get around to hooking that up?
Sorry I don`t have the answer for you, but does it really matter?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually its been hooked up since February....and it worked great in the cold weather...I just want to 'confirm' that I didn't plumb it backwards

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Actually its been hooked up since February....and it worked great in the cold weather...
So, what are you worried about? ::
If you screwed up, I think you'd know it. :: ::

Since all it's doing is circulating water...once it's full I don't see how it matters.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The coolant should enter the core at the bottom, and exit the top. On a 289/351W, the flow goes into the core from the intake, and out to the WP, so what you described would be backwards. Not sure how the Cleveland flows. It'll work either way, and sounds like yours is working well, so wouldn't worry about it unless you get really bored.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read a post today that 'suggested' if the heater core was hooked up backwards it could contribute to a motor running warmer than it should. So I was interested to find out if I had mine plumbed correctly, and if you are correct, then mine is not...its easy enough to switch the tubes and find out if my car runs any cooler because of it ;)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I read a post today that 'suggested' if the heater core was hooked up backwards it could contribute to a motor running warmer than it should.
I can't think of a reason that would be true, except that initially, coolant entering the top would tend to trap air. Over time, that should take care of itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts