Vintage Mustang Forums banner

351C in 68 fastback clutch parts?

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  wawazat 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 68 fastback that has a 351 C in it. I took the C6 out and bought a toploader. I got the clutch pedal , springs , and brackets. I and hunting for a bell housing.

My question is what year and what clutch parts do I need to go from the 68 to the 70’ cleveland?

Does the engine pivot side go in the trans or block ? And is the Z bar 68 Small block or a 70 351c ?

#2 ·
I’ve got an OEM cast iron bellhousing that came off my Cleveland. I also have a reinforced Z bar assembly. I’m in Detroit area and with the weight of the bell shipping will be pricey.
Using these parts you’ll need a 164 tooth flywheel with the 11” clutch assembly. You’ll need a block plate and may need a Different starter as well.

Reactions: Randall67
#4 ·
I’ve got an OEM cast iron bellhousing that came off my Cleveland. I also have a reinforced Z bar assembly. I’m in Detroit area and with the weight of the bell shipping will be pricey.
Using these parts you’ll need a 164 tooth flywheel with the 11” clutch assembly. You’ll need a block plate and may need a Different starter as well.
Oh good.

Not sure what your cleveland was out of but I read the truck bell housings are iron and are a slightly different depth. Also, i have a Rug m 390 trans with the short shaft, so was wandering how that would play into it if the iron truck housing moved it closer or further away?

#5 ·
My Cougar was a 3 speed manual trans car as built though was originally a 351 Windsor car. PO rebuilt a Cleveland and pulled the tired old Windsor out.
I was going to use it as is but decided to get rid of the Z bar for improved header/steering shaft clearance. That sent me down the Fox body AL bellhousing, 157 tooth flywheel with a hydraulic master/slave cylinder system for use with my TKO600.

#6 ·
Fir the FE motors, the truck bellhousing is deeper, moving the trans farther back. I don’t think that applies to the 351 stuff. If you do indeed have the “short” shaft trans, you will need to either replace the input, or get a special pilot bearing as the trans tip won’t be long enough to engage the factory pilot. Hers a pic of the difference, the tip on the small block is longer, the splines are the same length…

#8 ·
Oh I also have the California Pony Cars crossmember (not sure if 69 specific tho) plus the aluminum spacer plate/adapter to mount a TKO to a Ford factory early bellhousing.

#10 ·
I have a 351C and 4-speed toploader in my 68FB.

As Klutch said, any of the ford 289/302 bellhousings can be used (excluding the 5-bolt) as bellhousing bolt patterns for 289/302/351W/351C are the same. JUST REMEMBER, Some bell housings are for 157 tooth and some are for a 164 tooth flywheel. So make sure what ever bellhousing you obtain, matches the flywheel you bought (or will buy). As for the clutch size, it depends on your flywheel size.
The Z bar pivot is block mounted. I believe my Z-bar and pivot are from a 289/302.

Here's a little data on ford bellhousings so you know what to choose

Attachments

#13 ·
I have a 351C and 4-speed toploader in my 68FB.

As Klutch said, any of the ford 289/302 bellhousings can be used (excluding the 5-bolt) as bellhousing bolt patterns for 289/302/351W/351C are the same. JUST REMEMBER, Some bell housings are for 157 tooth and some are for a 164 tooth flywheel. So make sure what ever bellhousing you obtain, matches the flywheel you bought (or will buy). As for the clutch size, it depends on your flywheel size.
The Z bar pivot is block mounted. I believe my Z-bar and pivot are from a 289/302.

Here's a little data on ford bellhousings so you know what to choose
Great! Thank you!

Can I ask what headers you run that clear the z bar? Ive seen alot of them but they dont say if they fit an MT. I know they have a different route than the auto.

#15 ·
FPA headers should fit it. That is what I use in my 69. I use an aluminum bellhousing (164 tooth) and the Cleveland specific Zbar from a 70. Bought a repro from Mustangs Unlimited years ago. You will need Cleveland specific pulleys and brackets also. A 390 or 428 radiator will work also.

#18 ·
Please consider the rest of the mods and other changes you’re considering before buying headers. I bought a set of long tube ceramic coated Doug‘s headers for my Cleveland powered 69 Cougar. Beautiful and fit well with my Z bar and used them for about a year. They are now for sale as they do not work with my rack and pinion steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.