Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a 351c put into my 69 fastback. My motor guy said that their was a problem with the gas pedal being too high. It is the same heigth as the brake. The mechanic said the gas pedal out of my 71 would not work because I need the motor side of the pedal to be mounted a little more back and behind the carb (I think) So would the accelerator linkage be the thing to buy or do I need a mount for the new motor. I soooo confused. I feels like I'm driving a clutch. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I am having a hard time picturing this, but oh well. :p
Look for a setup from a 70 that had a Cleveland.
I am not sure that there is a difference, but if there is that will work.
hth,
Russ

·
Registered
295 Posts
I can't quite help you but I believe I know what you are talking about.

In my 69 with a I6 200 C.I. we put a 2 barrel and it kinda pulled the throttle cable (i apologize if that isn't the correct name) forward pulling the pedal higher. So when I "floor it", it doesn't actually go all the way to the floor.

I just got used to it and don't even notice anymore. Is this what your talking about?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think what you might need to check is the length of the throttle cable as well as making sure you have the right throttle cable bracket on the intake. I've got the same problem with my 70 FB which was switched from a 302 to 351C. I believe the parts are available from any of the parts houses. Maybe someone can give the correct part numbers. - Matt

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Keep in mind that the 69 throttle cable has a round grommet at the firewall, whereas the 70 has a square grommet. I would make sure you have the 351C throttle cable bracket for a 70 car with the 69 throttle cable. I don't recall any difference with the grommet at the throttle cable bracket, just at the firewall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts