Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
No and Yes.

They were not technically an option, but late in the model year a few 351c motors made it into engine compartment.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Never say never. One of my best friends and his significant other have owned a 69 mach1 since new, and it had a cleveland.
I think ford used what they had late in the model year.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Your buddy should get in touch with Kevin Marti. He swears that no Cleveland was ever original equipment in a 69 Mach. It would be interesting to see what he says.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I asked the question that produced that response from Kevin Marti a couple years ago!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not sure on this one, I've grown to know that all 69's were Windsors, whether 2v or 4, and all 70 4v's were Clevelands, and 2v's were Windsors. I'd submit your vin# and body code to Marti, and see what the response is. But all things being equal, if Ford had extra engines left over that were 4V Windors, I'd be silly to scrap them in 70 and not utilize them, on the other hand, I'd be just as silly not to introduce a Cleveland engine (remember this is the muscle car era), that was mass produced prior to 70......in a 69. example the 428 CJ heads are closer to a Cleveland style head than a Windsor, and 428's were around prior to 69. Just my 2 cents, but it aint worth a dime!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your buddy should get in touch with Kevin Marti. He swears that no Cleveland was ever original equipment in a 69 Mach. It would be interesting to see what he says.
Since you asked, here's Marti's reply.RE: buttal
by 7/6/2001, 1:13:23 PM One rebuttal coming up. We have been licensed by Ford Motor Company
with the entire database of production records of all 67-73 vehicles built at their North American
operations. The production records kept track of every engine installation for the 351, whether it was
shipped from the Windsor plant or the Cleveland plant. There were no 351 engines shipped from the
Cleveland plant for ANY of the 1969 model cars. People will protest. People will insist that their car does
have, but they cannot offer any proof (and having a Cleveland engine sitting in your 1969 car does not
constitute proof any more than me showing you a HiPo 289 sitting in my 1967 Cougar constitutes "proof"
they put HiPos in 1967 Cougars). Just check the date code on the engine block for anyone who claims to
have an original Cleveland in their 1969 car. The date code would have to precede the build date of the
car. I would like someone to show me one installation where the date code of the block is earlier than the
production date of the car.
Kevin Marti

1 - 11 of 11 Posts