Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I work to prepare for my cleveland buildup, I'm discovering I drove a 351C for years with the wrong thermostat!! (it always ran on the warm side)

335 series engines with the brass plate under the thermostat require a special thermostat that closes the hole in the brass plate off when warmed up...otherwise some coolant circulates continuously in the block.

Time marches on, and motorcraft lists the correct thermostat on their website, but when you try to order it, youre told the thermostat for a windsor is interchangeable and thats all you can get.

Its always something.

·
Registered
771 Posts
never buy aftermarket thermostats, ill always buy ford, i learned that lesson on a 90 ford van now try to change one on that thing!

·
Registered
771 Posts
yea i went to the ford dealer and got a 192 ford thermo, but its for a 302, i think 351's run on 180? I would def not get an aftermarjket as they run very hot, very very hot
just my 0.2 cents

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is very interesting. I have a 390 in my 67 Fairlane that runs on the warm side. I have installed a 4 row radiator and Super Kool, (water wetter) and have noticed very little change. Am also running a 160 thermo, which is the wrong thing to do according to what I've learned on the this Forum recently. I was going to reinstall the 195 thermo, but it, as well as the 160 are NAPA's supposedly best thermostats. Before I do this I think I'll make a trip to the Ford dealer and get the correct one. It's definitely worth a try! Have even been considering an electric fan. Maybe the Ford thermostat will do the trick. This Forum has a world of info. Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
I am running an after market 160 and the car stays at 180 except on 100+ degree days while idling when it will get up to 195. I do have a high volume water pump and Howe aluminum though to avoid that very problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
So I'm hearing 160, 180, and 192... what is the correct one for the Cleveland?

My 2v runs at about 200 degrees when warmed up, regardless of the weather.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i think 180 is correct for the 351's but im not sure..... Yes i did test on thermostats, I boiled both the new ford 192, and the aftermarket 195 ( from auto zone) The ford Opened right up at 192, and the aftermarket wasnt nearly close to opening at 195 , it finally opened up at 201, by that time the ford had been open already for a decent time and was wayyyy open, stay away from after market thermostats horrible!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Factory for a 351 is a 192... I use a 180 degree thermostat that I bought at Autozone, and it works fine, keeps on the very bottom of the normal range on my factory temp gauge...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have five different 351C engines in my family in our collection of Q and H code cars ('72 & '73s). We all run the 180^ heavy duty t-stat (Stant brand from O'Rielly). All cars run in the lower temp range year round. We all are located in southeast Louisiana.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts