Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see parts like the ones listed in this ehay auction all the time 1852042717. My 351c 2v currently has the stock rocker arm 'sleds' in it. Why can't I just get a set of these rockers and replace the sleds that are currently in the car. I always see posts about the milling and this and that that needs to be done to 351c heads to have roller rockers added, but don't these rockers just replace the current sled setup with bearings? What is so special that requires all that head work?
JH

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
they are built to mount on a 7/16 stud

I bought a set of bolt down motorsport rockers (special ordered thru jegs) for 260.....they are full-roller aluminum rockers designed to bolt right to stock, unmodified 351c heads

I dont like the pedestal they have, but when I called ford motorsport, the rep I talked to stated his neighbor has them on a cleveland with a .600" lift cam.

They obviously arent adjustable, but they have a helluva lot less friction than the stock rockers!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The headwork is necessary to use a traditional screw in stud and guideplate combination... I use the Crane Guideplate Conversion kit on my heads, and will on my Aussie heads as well; it has individual guideplates for each pedistal and have a 7/16 stud. This kit lets you run normal, adjustable roller rockers without any head machine work. The kits a piece of cake to install.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Isnt there a problem with head bolts or studs that prevents one from installing/removing heads without first taking out hte plates?

Also, how reliable are they for big power/high RPM applications?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I can pull the heads with the guideplates in place, with the stock bolts, but I have to be crafty about it. ARP claims that their 12pt bolts heads' diameters are small enough that they will squeeze by the plates. The also suggest using allen-headed bolts (only 3 would be necessary per head). Although, however, I think with just minor grinding on the plates that the factory bolts would slip by.

I would spin my motor to the short side of 6500 RPM on a nitrous motor before shifting, and didn't have any problems with them... I'll use them on my next setup, which is shaping up to be a 6500 RPM 408C with a 150 shot. I really like the setup, very nice. Its more or less a traditional guideplate setup except that each pushrod has its individual plate, the plates are cut to fit over the high parts of the pedistals, and the plastic inserts are replaceable, even though after a full season of hard abuse, bad lifters bending pushrods, and a host of other things, the plastic inserts that are in there show NO wear at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts